Left stick bouncing left-right

ctdrummer

Hi everyone,

My biggest technique problem is that when I am bouncing the left hand stick, it occasionally moves left or right while bouncing. I open my hand slightly to ease the grip to get more speed, but this is when the side to side bounce occurs. I tried using the other fingers as a guide to keep the stick bouncing straight up and down, but this then limits my speed.

Is this a common problem? It doesn't seem to effect the sound of the hit, but I know that it can't be as precise or efficient as hitting straight up and down. Does anyone have tips on how to correct this?

Thanks, ctdrummer

Hi, I have been playing open-handed for the last year and working on my left hand lead a LOT. I am naturally right handed and I have this same issue. I have been using a mirror to examine my hands and have found that my fingers have as much to do with this as my hand position and wrist movement.

I am not obsessed with it so i haven't yet "figured it out". However, I am certain that you can "straighten" this out if you work on it. Try filming yourself from different angles and see what you can learn. Someone else can check you out but they will still have to articulate what they see. You, on the other hand, can simply see what's going on and then make adjustments to see how to correct this without having to express it verbally.

My 2¢...

Good luck!

I'm right handed and found when trying to overcome left lead issues, a mirror helps visually to compare both hands (assuming matched grip) and playing the stroke in unison helps me to feel any variation between the two. If you find that the speed suffers, concentrate on technique and be patient. You'll generally feel like you're going backwards first before noticing a marked improvement.

I'm right handed and found when trying to overcome left lead issues, a mirror helps visually to compare both hands (assuming matched grip) and playing the stroke in unison helps me to feel any variation between the two. If you find that the speed suffers, concentrate on technique and be patient. You'll generally feel like you're going backwards first before noticing a marked improvement.

Great points JME!

Playing strokes in unison is a very much overlooked part of practice and development. I have found it very challenging. Record what you think sounds "perfect" then listen back at half speed - welcome to flam city... lol.

I was thinking matched, sorry...

Hey, no problem! The main issue is, when I loosen my grip to allow for bouncing, that's when the fun begins. If you were to look at my strokes from the air, you would see the occasional bounce left<->right. I can fix it my tightening the pivot point in between my thumb and finger, but then it is harder to bounce freely.

ctdrummer

Back