Dope Custom Drum (Dynasty Custom Drums)

mhdweston

Hey guys, let me get straight to the chase..

I found a used drum set.. The seller claims its a DCD (Dynasty/Dope Custom Drums) and that its worth around $2500 new.. Which would mean I am getting an INSANE deal..

Ive searched around and cannot find anything on this brand, was wondering if you guys know ANYTHING about this brand, site, prices, anything..

Well heres a picture of the kit the seller sent me
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/5894_1210268139105_1300788798_594966_1999770_n.jpg

Thanks guys

Cheers
--Mario--

If I had to guess, more than likely it's made with Keller shells by one of about 2.634 bazillion other "custom" drum makers. The reality is that practically anyone can start a drum company by ordering the shells from Keller (or one of their retailers) and ordering all the lugs, tension rods, spurs, hoops, and whatever other hardware is need to build a kit. Oh yeah, almost forgot the green sparkle wrap - you can order that too and stick that sucker right on there before you drill and assemble, and voilà; "Custom Drum Comany Name Here".

The really important thing not to screw up (besides the wrap and holes, obviously) is the bearing edges. Without good edges the drums will never sing or tune properly.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm knocking these drums because I have no idea how good the assembly work and bearing edges were done. But also, I happen to own a Keller-based kit (mine doesn't have a wrap on it; it was stained and oiled, but other than that...). My drums sound really great and I've been playing them for over 10 years with no complaints. Microphones love them. What are mine called? Garcia Custom Drums. Ever heard of them? Didn't think so. But Jerry Garcia (yes, his real name!) has been around a long time and knows a thing or two about putting these kinds of kits together. If Mr. Dope has similar experience, then these drums will probably rock.

That probably is about what those drums sold for new. I don't know what an "insane" good deal on these would look like, but as long as they're worth that much to you (you like the look, dimensions, and whatnot), and if they sound good, then go for it!

Last edited:
Yes i figured it was something like that, but you never know.. Anyways yeah, Im going to go check the drums out soon, hes asking $675 for the shells. After I check them out, how they sound, scratches, edges, seams, all that good stuff.. I am hoping i can haggle the price down to somewhere between $600-$650..

I like the finish and if the price is right i think I think ill have a new kit to show off sometime in the next three weeks. =D

Thank you so much
Cheers

If they are a keller build,with good edges and good condition and you like them that is a good deal,at least the seller has a realistic idea of what they are worth,small maker and boutique companies drums just don't bring the resale.I have seen so many people trying to sell a kit they paid 3500.00 for for 2500.00.Good luck with them.

Yup, thats one of the bad things about CraigsList jajajaja.. Its one of the first ones that I have found at a good price..

But i dont know yet, I will definitely let you guys know how it goes.. Hopefully i might be posting some new drum kit pictures soon..

Thank you very much
Cheers,
-Mario-

Yeah if I was to guess I would say this drumset is a pretty decent set (the snare looks realy nice) but idk if it is worth $2500. if you are getting a "insane" deal on it than yeah I would go for it but dont spend over like $1000 on it. Theres my opinion!

Yeah if I was to guess I would say this drumset is a pretty decent set (the snare looks realy nice) but idk if it is worth $2500. if you are getting a "insane" deal on it than yeah I would go for it but dont spend over like $1000 on it. Theres my opinion!
Oh no i would never pay near $1000 for the kit, I might go as high as his asking price of $675, but Im hoping that with my, yet to be tapped, used car salesman haggling talents I will be able to bring the price down some..

And as far as that snare, I do not think he wants to included with the shells that im buying, but since i talked to the guy and he told me that all his equipment MUST go (big mistake when your selling used equipment) I'm thinking that when i show up, cash in hand, he might throw in the snare as well..
You can never have too many snares! =D

Cheers
-Mario-

Ah yeah, I've seen the same kit up there. Funny being on the same Craigslist. It seems like a killer deal if you want those sizes and that funky color. But you're getting a decent deal without the drums, (hardware and cymbals, alone), but you're also getting the shells.

I've never heard of DCD, but if it is some branch of Dynasty music, then I'd imagine they are amazing drums. Sizes are not for me though. Jump on that, man.

Back