Anyone 'downgraded' from a 5+ piece kit to a 4 piece?

Phat_Rolls

Anyone ever gone from a larger 5+ piece kit down to a simple 4 piece kit?

I have a 5 piece kit (2 up 1 down) and just for fun I removed my hi-tom and set my kit up as a 4 piece - I'm loving it! The simplicity of a 4-piece kit really appeals to me for some reason - has anyone else gone this route?

Also, does anyone know of any professional 4 piece drummers? I know JP Gaster (Clutch) and Fred LaBlanc (Cowboy Mouth) rock 4 piece kits, do you know of any others - just so I can draw inspiration off of them.

I'm not sure if I'm going to make this a permanent thing but I'm really digging it right now so I just might.

Also, does anyone know of any professional 4 piece drummers? I know JP Gaster (Clutch) and Fred LaBlanc (Cowboy Mouth) rock 4 piece kits, do you know of any others - just so I can draw inspiration off of them.

probably 95% or more of jazz drummers have used a 4 piece kit at some point in their professional careers.

I recently removed two rack toms and went from 3 up, 1 down to 1 up, 1 down.
Nice to go back to the simple life.

Attachments

• CIMG0351.JPG
    CIMG0351.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 734
I dont particularly agree with the word "downgraded", but yeah i have! I much prefer the simple four piece, but as always it does slightly depend on what your playing.

I dont particularly agree with the word "downgraded", but yeah i have! I much prefer the simple four piece, but as always it does slightly depend on what your playing.

I put it in quotes for that reason... I guess I could have come up with a better word - no I don't think it's really a downgrade.

Yeah, I went from a 6 piece with 9 cymbals to a 4 piece with hats, ride, and one crash.
Makes it a lot easier to transport too.

John Bonham, rocked a 4 before adding a second floor. Charlie Watts. Ringo Starr. Early Bill Ward (Black Sabbath).

I've gone from a 5 to a 4 to a 6 to a 7 back to a 4 and now to a 5 etc etc...

Majority of my playing is on a 4 piece. I do it ala Buddy style where the second floor tom is almost exclusive for my towel or something.

But then once in a while I sit behind a friend's kit with all the toys and just go ballistic. It's nice to bash so many things that have so darn many sounds every once in a while.

I've been changing my kit around a lot this past year. I play drums left-handed, but many drummers who come over to jam and record are righty, so it gets rearranged often. Whenever I change it back to lefty I try a new config.

Right now it's set up as a four piece. I love having the ride where the second tom would be. It's also a good set up to get used to because many house kits at clubs are four piece. Saves space and makes you play more sparingly. At first I wasn't crazy about having to jump from rack tom to floor tom but you get used to it.

For many gigs when i bring my own kit, I've set up this way. With TAMA and Taye hardware I can mount my ride cymbal on the bass drum's tom mount which saves space and set up time. I also have a snare stand from Taye that you can fly a crash cymbal on. Then I fly the second crash or a china off the floor tom leg and it really clears up space. Only a snare stand- no other cymbal stands. Pretty cool.

Ultimately I really like the SOUND of a four piece. Each drum seems to have more space and just sounds clearer to me.

I'd rather refer to it as "reconfigure."

Last year at school, the other drummer and I had a nice eight piece, perfectly symmetrical set up that shared floor toms in the middle, left handed on one side, right on the other. After a bit though, we brought it down to a single four piece and now we just take turns.

Back