Joey Jordison

kornslipknot said:
I cant believe that people on this post are saying that Joey is a horrible drummer. Im just stunned and i cant figure out whether its people who dislike slipknot being bias or if it is serious. I dont care if you dont like slipknot and i can totally understand that, but for people to say that Joey isnt a good drummer is just a complete joke. Listen to any of the drumming in their songs carefully and it is completly amazing. For the others that say he only does drum rolls and is a crowd pleaser, what do you expect? For his style of music it is what sounds best, so why would he put in a jazz beat into a song that is completely over the top with vocals and hardcore guitar. If you dont like slipknot that is fine, but ignorent assumptions about the way Joey plays is just stupid because he plays the way he should.
Lets put him in comparison with GREAT drummers though. Up next to Gadd, Vinnie, Weckl, Steve Smith, etc. he has got nothing. No diversity, no musicallity. Just tons of money.

brittc89 said:
Lets put him in comparison with GREAT drummers though. Up next to Gadd, Vinnie, Weckl, Steve Smith, etc. he has got nothing. No diversity, no musicallity. Just tons of money.

Just curious at how much money someone like Jordison makes? Seems like Slipknot isn't really as popular as people think, and they are somewhat of a niche band.

i think the point kornslipknot is making is that we shouldn't compare him to those dudes. and i also think its a bit strong to say he has nothing musically. joey is very tasteful in his own genres. him and jason bittner are my favourites in their type of music because of their choices and chops. (but its not my type of music at all ...so what... i can see a good drummer when i see one)

a spade is a spade.

j

i agree, in that i don't think jordison is the top of his genre, personally. but at his level of skill it's a matter of taste, and i can definately understand people thinking jordison is the best metal drummer.
basically he's no worse than them in talent, but i just prefer other sounds.
so i support jordison as a drummer, even if i don't actually like his sound.

Not a big fan of slipknot and Jordison is not my favourite drummer within the genre. But he is good at what he does, and it supports the music well.

I'd like for any of you Joey-haters to simply explain to me what he is expected to do with his music to make him up to your standards in the drumming sense. He couldn't drum much faster, more skillfully and at such a young age. How old are all these jazz 'gods' in comparison to Joey?
Saying slipknot arent as popular as people think is ridiculous they are just about the biggest band in the world at the moment...but of course you wouldnt listen to them, hence accept this.

joey jordison is a really fast drummer for his age...his only been playing sence high school, thats pretty good consittering hes a guitar player. some of his stuff is really easy to play.
double bass rolls and riding the hell out of a china although sounds inpressive is pretty easy to learn. (i dont remember who made the comment about how rich he is but hes in 2 semi popular bands. also he does play for metallica every once and a while to.)

I have listened to a few slipknot songs for the first time; I am certainly not an amateur of this genre, but the level of emotion shown by some members in this thread's various posts made me curious. This kind of drumming allways seems to me more to be an extensive workout than actual music (on my very small samples), but you can't deny the fact that one must be real fast to perfom it.

However, I really don't understand all those arguments over who's THE fastest....I may be one missing the point, but using raw speed to rate/compare drummers actually embarasses me

shuffle said:
I have listened to a few slipknot songs for the first time; I am certainly not an amateur of this genre, but the level of emotion shown by some members in this thread's various posts made me curious. This kind of drumming allways seems to me more to be an extensive workout than actual music (on my very small samples), but you can't deny the fact that one must be real fast to perfom it.

However, I really don't understand all those arguments over who's THE fastest....I may be one missing the point, but using raw speed to rate/compare drummers actually embarasses me
Its not a question for me of his speed, its his musicallity.

I was blown away by his drumming the first time I listened to the first Slipknot CD.
I think it's a little silly to say he isn't "musical". Whether you like that kind of music or not, the guy is incredibley talented. Stuart Copeland said, in an interview I read a while back, that he was doing things with a drumset that he had never heard before, and that he was a fan of Jordison's. You think Stuart Copeland knows anything about drum talent? Hmmm....

tommy said:

Decent videos. Not taking anything away from Joey because he is a pretty good drummer, but there is really nothing spectacular to his drumming. What he is doing in the videos is pretty basic stuff, but he does it clean and tight. I would give him an above average rating as a drummer. He is young and has a long career ahead of him, I see a lot of room for him to develop as a drummer.

I think he's o.k. The thing is people like the band, and those people will rave about the drummer. He has speed, yada yada, I don't dont hear anything else. I personally like a drummer to be more melodic. But there's this whole trend towards speed, more than ever I'd say. What happened to being more musical? It's too much of an extreme sport now with world's fastest drummer, drumometers, and all that.

skyfish said:
He has speed, yada yada, I don't dont hear anything else.

Good points, but I still disagree with the people on here who worship this guy for his supposed speed.

LordMarco, a relatively unknown Drummerwolrd forum guy has more speed, as well as probably 100s of others of us. (Not me, but again, it's not my thing. Last I checked James Taylor tunes are pretty slow).

tommy said:

i got that on the roadrunner thing :D i do like slipknot but although joey got me into drumming ive gone off him (a bit)because hes now in everything and when you listen to the songs although he does like a fill and then another i know there different but they sound the same because the first 1 was tom and double bass and the 2nd 1 was as well but just slightly different i think hes better at the beats than fills and drum solos

i wanted to ask if somebody here knows a link where you can listen to the drumsolo of him he played on the new slipknot live cd?

Hello everyone:

I am not a fan of Slipknot, since I don't like nu-metal. I think it is just the typical current metal band, making use of rapping couple with screaming, distorted guitars with inaudible basslines, and one-dimensional drumming. I don't like Slipknot's persussion at all; there is simply too much going on. While no other metal band may have though of using more than one drummer, Slipknot doesn't do it well (they can probably perform better without the guys playing toms and beer kegs).

I think Joey is a simplistic drummer. He sticks to rudimental metal drumming, i.e. heavy snare use, double bassing, and fills spread out over 5 or more toms. Joey is not innovative to his style, and neither is Slipknot for that matter. Joey may be skilled at playing metal, but he is not a drummer who deserves respect from everyone. Speed does not necessarily mean the man has skill, and while Joey can indeed go fast (don't deny it -because he can), he has not brought anything new to the genre or to drumming. When he makes use of elements which are atypical to metal, like use of bongos and xylophones, more complex beats (like polyrhythms and hemiolas), then he should be commemorated. Until then Joey, adieu.

- Marc

NUTHA JASON said:
i think the problem with the phrase 'BE MUSICAL' is that what is musical to a jazz drummer isn't always musical to a metal drummer.

j

Nutha Jason presents a good point: Joey is probably not musical in the same way a jazz drummer is. In terms of metal, he is musical (whatever that means). Joey is pretty good at playing metal, but he simply doesn't match up to anyone who has played metal in the past, like Dave Lombardo. Lombardo developed the style of the drumming in thrash metal; Slipknot has not created a new style; Nu-Metal is basically anything you have heard from the better metal of the 80's mixed with newer elements to appeal to the public. Joey is musical, however, he does nothing special other than excell in playinghis own genre. He does not blend into jazz or other types of drumming, so really, what is so special about him?

- Marc

You know, with this BEING MUSICAL thing... I think that it comes from the fact that most of people connect music with sound other than "flap", and that's how Joeys set sound. 127 drums, and every single one of them sounding the same way. I don't want it to look like criticising his playing. It's just about the fact, that generally kits used to play more subtle music, generate a sound which is more pleasant to hear. It's biological, it's organic. Even if you don't like jazz, your ears like it :). And if being musical is about soul, well... I think we should ask some native Ethiopian what does he think about Joey. He probably would know much more about soul than every single one of us. And let's be honest. A jazz player can play being 60, 70, 80 years old. There's no chance Joey would survive that long playing Slipknot-style music.

Back