Snare help

syrijak

Hello everyone. I'm new here, so if my post is in the wrong place, feel free to move it or whatever.

I've been drumming for quite a while now, but I can't for the life of me work out what's wrong with my snare drum. It's the snare that came with my all maple PDP X7, and when I hit the snare (with no deadening), it rings out, but with a sort of tinny, ugly ping sound.

I have a 2006 Tama Superstar also, and the snare on that - tuned in the same way sounds fantastic.

I've tried loosening the skins, 1 by 1, I've tried tightening them, loosening the snare, tightening the snare. I'm basically out of ideas.

The top skin is a Remo weartherking that I bought not that long ago, the bottom one is the one that came with the kit I think.

Any ideas would be appreciated..

Thanks

Tom

Bad stock reso, maybe wires. It might be a bent hoop out of round shell Other than that its probably not that great of a snare anyway. Wood 8 lug right? I would pull it all apart and check for loose lugs check the shell for flat and round check the hoops then maybe put some new heads and wires on it, or just use your other snare.

Hey

Thanks for your reply. I'll check out the things you've suggested. Nope, it's actually a 10 lug snare, the tama one is 8, but it's a smaller snare all together..

This PDP model is a fairly expensive drum kit which is why I'm surprised the snare sounds so crap!

Could the skin possibly be shot?

Tom

Put a reverse centre spot on it. That will kill the unwanted over tone in the centre but keep a nice ring to the edge

Back