DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Your weirdist gig?

I played a few times at burning man... Does that count for a freak show? You don't really get paid for anything there as money isn't allowed, but we got all kinds of "compensation" from people(still a gig?). Sometimes it's cool there also because people roam around with instruments and when you're done playing arranged stuff with your mates, it's always jam time with randos.

I remember instead of dancing, one time a big partner-Yoga session broke out and all around people were contorting and climbing on each other.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I played a few times at burning man...

No thanks. I'm good. :)
Old 09-27-2018, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

We’ve played a couple of times at a 24hr. charity walk. We set up in the middle of an athletics track while the participants walk laps around us. We don’t play for 24 hours, just a stint for a few hours.

We joked about doing songs like ‘I would walk 500 miles’ ‘A thousand miles’ ‘These boots are made for walking’ ‘Hit the road jack’ etc. but in the end we stuck to our 90’s and 00’s cover songs.

It’s weird that the punters just keep walking past the stage and wave every now and then.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

We also played an indoor beach party for a corporate Christmas show. (That’s summer in Australia, 90-100 degrees).
Gymnasium filled with sand, potted palm trees, beach balls, surfboards. All the women in bikini tops...
We got asked to learn Echo Beach, Tiny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini, Surfin’ USA and a few others.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrisman View Post
We’ve played a couple of times at a 24hr. charity walk. We set up in the middle of an athletics track while the participants walk laps around us. We don’t play for 24 hours, just a stint for a few hours.

We joked about doing songs like ‘I would walk 500 miles’ ‘A thousand miles’ ‘These boots are made for walking’ ‘Hit the road jack’ etc. but in the end we stuck to our 90’s and 00’s cover songs.

It’s weird that the punters just keep walking past the stage and wave every now and then.
This reminds me of this gig I played in a warehouse loft that was converted into a makeshift roller rink. We played in the center surrounded by portable chain link fence and people skated all around us.

Last edited by dale w miller; 09-28-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrisman View Post

Yup, we got asked to play one of these...for free.

We play music...people occasionally walk by...

We turned it down.