The Beatles

Ooooh, bitter, bitter? He said "A working class hero is something to be" he didnt even say he was one, even though he was. Auntie? so what? I have an Auntie who is minted, its her money not mine.

I'm not sure how he could possibly have been "working class" given that he didn't do a working class type job ever in his life and his upbringing was fairly decent, certainly more middle than working class.

A genius. For sure. Working class. No way.

Lennon had the wealthiest upbringing, but still very conservative middle class. His mother was poor I'm sure.

The other Beatles grew up totally working class.

And The Beatles busting balls playing 15 shows a week in Hamburg for a year is the definition of working class.

Ooooh, bitter, bitter? He said "A working class hero is something to be" he didnt even say he was one, even though he was. Auntie? so what? I have an Auntie who is minted, its her money not mine.

Oooooh easily rattled!

Missed the humour there somewhat I think, sarcasm was wasted on thee!

Take a chill pill lad.

You even bit at the Purdie statement on the other thread, can I have my hook back or do I need a bigger boat? Got a feeling it's the latter option.

Glad your auntie has a few quid good for her!

FYI John Lennon lived with his Aunt Mimi. Yoko brought the house and sold it to the national trust. If you've ever seen Ringo's house now that's working class!

And The Beatles busting balls playing 15 shows a week in Hamburg for a year is the definition of working class.

Yeah, no kidding. Check out this link to "The Beatles Bible:"
http://www.beatlesbible.com/history/

Starting about August 1960 they were playing daily. In early 1961 it really cranks up. Some days they played three gigs in three different locations the same day! They clearly had fire in their belly's to succeed!

I also read somewhere that some of the days they "only" played one show while in Hamburg, those gigs were often 7-8 hours long!

Oooooh easily rattled!

Missed the humour there somewhat I think, sarcasm was wasted on thee!

Take a chill pill lad.

You even bit at the Purdie statement on the other thread, can I have my hook back or do I need a bigger boat? Got a feeling it's the latter option.

Glad your auntie has a few quid good for her!

FYI John Lennon lived with his Aunt Mimi. Yoko brought the house and sold it to the national trust. If you've ever seen Ringo's house now that's working class!

Yea right, hiding behind the humour excuse eh? I am working class and he is my hero, ergo he is a working class hero. See "Lad" its easy.

And I didnt jump on your Purdie statement, I agreed with you if you can read it properly. I was keeping you right regarding the reason some pop drummers were not used early in the 60s. It had nowt to do with there ability, merely the studios.

...............................................................................................................

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 3.27.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 3.27.53 PM.png
    390 KB · Views: 319
  • Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 3.29.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 3.29.08 PM.png
    228.1 KB · Views: 322
  • Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 3.28.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 3.28.12 PM.png
    137.5 KB · Views: 323
  • Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 3.28.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 3.28.39 PM.png
    117 KB · Views: 320
Paul is a pretty good drummer though, you have to admit.

Ringo is still better but Paul's got some solid chops too.

If you play along to "Back in the USSR" you'll notice the first few measures have some serious rushing/dragging issues.

He was okay. I like his rolls on "Jet". But he's a very one-dimensional drummer.

I was nine... and sat there watching my sisters get weird whilst watching the Sullivan show. I thought it was strange.... so strange I never really liked the Beatles because of it... I thought that the whole scene was stupid, a joke, asinine. Oh yeah I get them (The Beatles), and in retrospect I concluded that they were bubble-gum before bubble-gum existed. And then later on they just got.... freaky. That said I did own the Revolver Album along with Rubber Soul, and Get Back and I applaud the engineering that Martin and Emmerick put into the their respective EMI releases which are/were in a word, groundbreaking.

As far as British Invasion Bands go... I liked the Yardbirds and the Kinks.

But Al Hirt, Herb Alpert... A Walk in the Black Forest, Cast Your Fate to the Wind... Dick Dale, Surf instrumentals, Flamenco, jazz... anything instrumental was what I enjoyed the most. Lyrics just got in the way of what I was listening for and trying to pay attention to.

And now that the Fab phase has disappeared (such a long time ago), I would have to say that Ringo seemed the friendliest of the bunch and who I enjoy listening to when interviewed.

Last edited:
Yes. Paul's drumming makes Band on the Run his best album.

He's a really underrated multi-instrumentalist. His first album McCartney is him playing everything.

Didn't Ginger Baker have something to do with Band on the Run? Wouldn't surprise me if McCartney did all the drums for it though!

Being a Brit, I didn't know anything abou the Ed Sullivan show at the time.

However, in 1963 (I was 13) I watched them on the TV when they did the Royal Variety Performance. The whole family watched it together, including my parents, and I remember cringeing with embarrassment because I thought they were so bad.

I've just watched that performance on Youtube - haven't seen it since 1963. They were in fact great (and I'm not even a particular fan). I can't imagine now why I didn't think so at the time. Although it might have been consciousness of my Dad's tutting, "long haired layabouts" attitude. Strange to think of the (then) older generation's attitude to them, and to the (then) new popular music generally. Good grief, they were even wearing suits and ties, as most bands did in those early days.

That Royal Variety performance is one of the best live recordings they did. That version of Twist and Shout is out of the park! And that's not even the best live version of Twist and Shout out there!

https://www.thebeatles.com/news/new...oration-between-beatles-and-acclaimed-academy

thebeatles_studio.jpg

I was 6 in '64. Back then, there was usually only one TV and everybody watched the same thing. The Ed Sullivan show was a requirement! I remember being at my grandfather's house and seeing it that night. I also remember hearing all of the adults in the room slamming them for their "noise" and hair! I also remember seeing them get off the plane. i couldn't understand what the hullabaloo was about.

I've never been a huge Beatles fan, but did learn to love some of their songs. As I grew up, I really learned to appreciate them for innovation and persistence. I still cringe when certain songs are played.

Same thing here. We lived way out in the country, and TV was a big deal. I was 11 in 1964, and my whole family gathered around to watch all the Saturday and Sunday night shows.

When the Beatles came on Sullivan, I remember being excited, and a bit confused. I asked my dad, "Why are they wearing their hair like that?" My dad said, "I don't know. It's just a style." Mom and Dad had no reaction to the music, but I was blown away. I'd never heard anything like that before.

And, I couldn't take my eyes off of Ringo. He seemed to be having so much fun playing those Ludwigs and swinging those Zildjian cymbals. I already had a snare drum and had endlessly played along to songs like Johnny Horton's North To Alaska and The Battle Of New Orleans, and all of Elvis's hits, but the Beatles were something new, exciting, and intoxicating.

On the Beatles' second appearance on Sullivan (which I couldn't wait to see!), there was time to scope out some of the other members of the group: Harrison was quiet and mysterious; McCartney was joyous and inviting; and Lennon was - dangerous yet alluring.

The Beatles simply set my course of musical enjoyment for the rest of my life. Honestly, I still find myself using them as the standard by which I judge all other music. "Is this as good as a Beatles song?" Very, very few songwriters/performers can meet that standard.

GeeDeeEmm

Funny this thread came up. As per the news this morning, today is the 50th anniversary of the Beatles last show. The one that was on the rooftop. I was half asleep when they reported on it, but I think it's pretty dang cool.

Funny this thread came up. As per the news this morning, today is the 50th anniversary of the Beatles last show. The one that was on the rooftop. I was half asleep when they reported on it, but I think it's pretty dang cool.

I saw that as well on another site.

I'm surprised Ringo isn't getting attacked more in this thread. He takes a lot of flack.

I dig the Beatles a lot. Not old enough to have seen them on TV live or anything like that. Great song-writing, harmonies, good sing-a-long stuff. But I've found that people either like them, or not at all.

He's a really underrated multi-instrumentalist. His first album McCartney is him playing everything.

Didn't Ginger Baker have something to do with Band on the Run? Wouldn't surprise me if McCartney did all the drums for it though!

Picasso's last words was recorded at Ginger's studio in Nigeria.

Back