Stock heads troubles

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
This last week I've noticed that the Sonor Force 2007 birch snare that came with my kit, has become increasingly difficult. Thinking it was just a lug coming loose (that's what it looked like at first glance) I just proceeded to bring it back to pitch. Problem solved right? Wrong. Every 5 minutes without fail it would de-tune itself, and getting increasingly aggravated, I continued to crank ot back up to pitch until I noticed it......... [pics are below]

I seem to have stretched the head quite badly, but it's still attached...... anybody know what causes this sort of thing to happen?

sorry for the noob question by the way.....

-Jonathan

Attachments

• HT 1.jpg
    HT 1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 172
  • HT 2.jpg
    HT 2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 165
  • HT 3.jpg
    HT 3.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 161
Stock heads on most low to mid-level kits are notoriously cheap and poorly made. Get yourself some new Remo, Evans, or Aquarian skins for your kit.

In some cases - cheaper stock heads made in China etc... are not even glued into the collar... hence the problem you seem to be having. Too much tension and the skin just slips out from under the collar.

Stock heads on most low to mid-level kits are notoriously cheap and poorly made. Get yourself some new Remo, Evans, or Aquarian skins for your kit.

In some cases - cheaper stock heads made in China etc... are not even glued into the collar... hence the problem you seem to be having. Too much tension and the skin just slips out from under the collar.

haha yeah I knew they were cheap i just didn't know why that was happening. thanx for clearing that up and yes, a new set of heads for that snare are on their way ;)

anybody have any suggestions on which heads would compliment a Sonor Force 2007 Birch 14"x6" Snare?

-Jonathan

Hi:

I'm new to drumming and just bought a PDP M5 kit. Can someone tell me if I should change the stock heads it came with to Evans ec2 sst? Or should I just play these for a while as I'm learning? I'm learning at an older age of 42. Please advice. Thanks.

Hi:

I'm new to drumming and just bought a PDP M5 kit. Can someone tell me if I should change the stock heads it came with to Evans ec2 sst? Or should I just play these for a while as I'm learning? I'm learning at an older age of 42. Please advice. Thanks.

Quality heads WILL make the drum sound a hell of a lot better than the stock heads. If you were a kid, I'd suggest leaving them for a while and putting the coin into lessons or the like. Given your age, I'm going to assume you have an income and if this is the case.....get rid of 'em!! Especially the batters.....if you can afford it, do the reso's as well.

You'll be glad you did IMHO.

Quality heads WILL make the drum sound a hell of a lot better than the stock heads. If you were a kid, I'd suggest leaving them for a while and putting the coin into lessons or the like. Given your age, I'm going to assume you have an income and if this is the case.....get rid of 'em!! Especially the batters.....if you can afford it, do the reso's as well.

You'll be glad you did IMHO.

I'll second that.. The kit isn't for a kid, so it's not like it's a complete waste throwing some extra cash to upgrade a few things early on for a better sound. It took me a little over a month to save up to replace the stock heads on my kit, and I'm glad I did.

New, off the shelf heads and good tuning make a huge difference in my opinion.

I always recommend a good coated batter head for snares.

Aquarian Satin Texture Coated or coated Super 2 (with underside Power Dot if you play hard)
Evans Coated G2 or Reverse Dot Power Center
Remo Coated CS (Underside) Dot or Ambassador.

Remember to change the bottom snare head as well. They work as a team with your drum, tuning and touch.

Those are my fav's

Jim

I'll second that.. The kit isn't for a kid, so it's not like it's a complete waste throwing some extra cash to upgrade a few things early on for a better sound. It took me a little over a month to save up to replace the stock heads on my kit, and I'm glad I did.

What RESO's would you recomend with Evans EC2 SST? Thanks to all, I wil upgrade batters and snare tomorrow.

What RESO's would you recomend with Evans EC2 SST? Thanks to all, I wil upgrade batters and snare tomorrow.

Resos are not nearly as critical as batters; if you are pinched for cash you can put that off for a bit. If you have the dough, though, I'd recommend Evans G1 clears or clear Ambassadors as resos.

I disagree. Reso heads are just as important.

Pass.of.E.r.a.- Get either an Evans Hazy 300 or Remo Hazy Ambassador for the bottom. And for the top either G1 or G2 by Evans, Ambassador or Emperor from Remo. You can also check out heads like Power Center Reverse Dot by Evans or Controlled Sound from Remo. These heads have dots in the center of the head.

Bobbyr- Just go with some Evans Genera Resonants or Evans G1. The equivalent in Remo would be the Diplomats or Ambassadors. Put these on a bubinga DDrum kit with the EC2 SST heads on top on a kit at work. Great low end controlled sound. Hope this helps!

I went with Evans G1's, from everything I've read it seems that they match up good with pretty much any batter head you choose. The Remo equivilant would be Clear Diplomats I believe.

I went with Evans G1's, from everything I've read it seems that they match up good with pretty much any batter head you choose. The Remo equivilant would be Clear Diplomats I believe.

Almost Nytak, the Remo equiv to the G1 is the Ambassador. Diplomats are a thinner ply again.

Back