THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

Re: What is your favorite type of snare drum?

Just got a supraphonic, getting it to sound pretty good. Just put a 42 strand snare on my Starclassic and WOW!! I love it!! Thanks Nutha!

My ancient Ludwig steel snare that I've owned for like 15 or 16 years. My parents bought it off of a drummer who was selling his set when I was in the 5th grade. I've loved this snare ever since.

Cheers.

I use 2 different snare types , its all about the mood.

Attachments

• Ludwig.JPG
    Ludwig.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 6,696
  • Ludwig1.JPG
    Ludwig1.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 6,660
  • Carbon-Ply-FFC1412A-sm.jpg
    Carbon-Ply-FFC1412A-sm.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 6,616

Ludwig Black Beauty, hand engraved of course.

black beauty v pearl brass sensitone ?

hi,as a kid i was lucky to be given a day in the premier factory in england,when i asked about ludwig drums,the reply was "they just rely on old designs"/ this was 1972 and to be honest since then i never looked at ludwig gear.I recently have had the pleasure of playing two ludwig snares /one a bb 14" x 5" with classic lugs and also 14" x6" bronze tube lugs/ and they were both easy to play and sounded better than any other snare drum ive used.ive bought and used about 15 different snares in many settings inc theatre and recording /all sizes and materials.now im just about to order a ludwig bb at £500/here in the uk,i notice pearl do a "copy" of the bb called brass sensitone 14"x5" classic which even has beaded shell too,also it has die cast hoops which are easier to play rim shots on than the ludwigs press steel hoops.....any of you guys out there can give an advice on how the two compare,i would be very gratefull.malcolm ross scotland

Re: black beauty v pearl brass sensitone ?

Hi,

Nearly everybody copies or has copied the Black Beauty and the Suprafonic. If the design of the shell is old but works and sounds great, so what. I play my 5.25 X 14 Brass edition Black Beauty 99% of the time. They will have to "pry that drum from my cold dead fingers!" I've noticed the resale on Ludwig Black Beauties is very strong, so I wouldn't worry about the investment. I bought mine from Ludwig at a drum show for $450.00 and I don't miss that money at all. Matt

I personally would go for the Ludwig, other companies try to make improvements on the Ludwig snares, but you just can't the beat the original. I have two Ludwig snares, and 5X14 chrome over alumminum, and a 6.5X14 chrome over brass. Both are amazing! Every other Ludwig snare I have played is great too. I'm sure either snare would be great, Pearl does make good drums, but I would rather have the real thing than a some other companies copy of it. You mentioned liking the rim on the Pear more, if you got the Ludwig snare, and didn't like the rim then you could buy one of the Pearl rims and put it on the Ludwig. Thats just an idea I thaught I would mention. Either way its a win win situation really. Good luck in your decision!

I forgot to mention this RE the Ludwig. Go for the Diecast hoops. Also I on my 5/14 Black Beauty I added 42 strand which deepened the sound of the drum somewhat.I also use a 1 ply head with a dot underneath. The drum is super responsive. I don't know why Ludwig doesn't take the hint from so many drummers and offer the 42 strand snares.
Matt

How's this for a snare drum?

Hi,
Just found the forum. Just thought I'd say that I have been a lifetime maple drum guy. I like other drums, but my passion has been American made stuff, usually the thin-shelled maple variety that Ludwig, DW and Keller make to name a few. I appreciate other woods and aluminum drums, but maple is my clear favorite.

I just picked up a new snare, it's a 6.5x14 Ludwig maple exotic with a Steinway and sons waterfall bubinga finish. It was $400. It sounds every bit as good as it looks. I chose it over other stuff I tried. I looks like a modern classic, reminiscent of the craftsmanship Sonor puts into their exotic stuff.

159573.jpg

From prog to jazz, most of my favorite drummers use a wood snare as primary. (For example Portnoy's Tama Melody master.)

I'd like this to kick off a wood snare thread! Please post comments about your favorite wood snares.

Re: How's this for a snare drum?

Thats a sweet looking snare man. Very nice.

snare drum questions

Ok, im getting a new snare drum some time soon. What is the differnence in sound between a snare thats about 5x14, and a snare thats deeper, like a 7x14, or 8x10?

Re: snare drum questions

drum diameter defines pitch while depth has an impact on articulation. a shallower shell will produce some sort of shorter tone burst than a deeper one.

Re: New snare

I agree with Dog Breath. It is impossible to choose a snare based on what people want. Snares are like fingerprints. No two are the same. You should really go to a music store and choose a snare. And concider what music you play. You may love a warm soft tone, but if you play rock you need a sharp, loud drum that will cut. A snare is by far the most important part if your set. Choose wisely.

Snare drum.. So weird -_-

I bought a used Ludwig Accent Steel snare drum. I got pissed tuning it cause it's giving me weird sound.. I tuned both up/bottom snare head tight and I can't get a snare sound out.. I brought it to the shop they say I'm missing a tone controller and so I bought it.. And it doesn't fit for the snare so I returned it. Any ideas I can fix it guys?

I'm thinking of buying another good snare and sell this off in the future while I save some money.

Re: Snare drum.. So weird -_-

Try these 2 things:

First change the heads, both of them.

Make sure that the snare is actually touching the bottom head. If its not, that is why you're not getting a snare sound. Try tightening up the snares.

If this doesn't work, I reccomend just saving up for a good snare.

Rob

Back