Putting Die-cast hoops on snare?

drew510

I've been thinking about replacing the current rims on my snare (2.3 triple flanged steel) with die cast ones. It's a Yamaha Musashi 13x6.5. The drum is 7-ply oak. Any suggestions on how this would sound or has anyone done this on a similar drum? I've played a lot of snares with die cast hoops and seem to like the sound... but yeah any suggestions would be appreciated, also where would be a good place to buy high quality die cast hoops (need 13in 8 hole, snare side and batter). Thanks.

The advantage of die cast hoops is that they're die cast, hehe. But seriously, flanged hoops come from long pieces of steel that are bent and then fused and then shaped and drilled so, no matter what anyone calls them they have a natural, physical tendency to want to revert back to their original straight shape. Since die cast hoops are poured into a cast in a molten state and then cooled and finished, they are already in their original shape and retain their roundness pretty much indefinitely. This keeps the shape of the drums in round and makes the drums sound better over the long run. Where to buy? ebay. buy used.

True. Well honestly i think my snare side rim is bent out of shape and I want to replace them so i might as well try die cast... also its hard to find 13 inch 8 hole snare hoops on ebay used, all there is on there is new...

i dont think you should buy used... theyre not that expensive. you might as well just get brand new ones and not risk the quality. try
drummaker.com
precisiondrum.com
amdrumparts.com

What do you guys think about putting die-cast on my black beauty? I know it would ease my tuning efforts, but would it choke the drum down?

Die casts on a snare vs. the triple flanged will take some of the ring out and dry the sound out a bit.

If you've got a Guitar Center nearby, it will probably have in stock the new Ludwig Black Magic snare with the black chromed die cast hoops.

It's a Black Beauty shell with die cast hoops and should give you a pretty good idea what your snare might sound like.

They also change how the drum feels when you whack it. More rigid, less give. I prefer the feel of the flanged hoops big time.

I will never go back to die cast. S-hoops have a perfect balance of openness (like 2.3mm triple flanged) and focused rim click (like die cast). They don't choke the drum like die cast, nor are they totally wide open.

The other things I like better in some ways (especially cosmetic) is a wood hoop. Wooden rim clicks sound amazing, and these hoops let the drum resonate.

Yeah, I have two Black Beauties, and the die-cast gives a definite change in sound from the triple flanged. I have the diecast on my 5 x 14 BB, and the triple flanged on the 6.5 x 14, two different sounds, but both are great.

Another vote for the S-hoop. It's awesome. Cleans up the sound without volume loss. Powerful cross stick sound and protects bearing edge. I love it.

ive got a pearl sensitone, whilst recording with this snare , i have come to notice there is a hell of a lot of ring to it, would die cast cut that down , i know a wood snare is allways going to be the answer but b4 i add another snare to my collection i want to see what options i have before shelling out ha ha what a pun:)

I prefer thin cheap triple flanged over die cast simply because of the softer feel to the stick, it makes playing consistent rimshots easier especially at low volumes.

So, how do the S hoops feel when you hit shots? These may be the answer but I've never gotten to try them.

I prefer thin cheap triple flanged over die cast simply because of the softer feel to the stick, it makes playing consistent rimshots easier especially at low volumes.

So, how do the S hoops feel when you hit shots? These may be the answer but I've never gotten to try them.

Hi Bill,

As chathamight mentioned, my experience is that it's a softer feel with a bit of "give." Still, the quality of sound (timbre/tone/etc.) is very rich. The only downside for me is that they do cut into a bit of the "real estate" for brush playing and you can't quite reach the area right next to the bearing edge (where I occasionally go while comping). Personally, I favor these and aluminum die-cast hoops.

best,

spleen

Are hoops generally one size fits all? I want a die cast hoop for my Ludwig Black Beauty batter side but don't want to make a mistake and buy one that won't fit! Does anyone know where I can get one? Preferably UK based?

Back