14"x6.5" Maple Snare Tuning

Gretsch09

Yo Drummies! So yesterday I decided to take a crack at one of my old snare drums that has been sitting around for a while. I bought new heads and snares for it. Ambassador top, evans 300 hazy bottom and puresound blaster wires. I feel like i've got it sounding pretty decent but it only sounds good with an E Ring. I'm wondering if all deep maple snare drums have an uncontrollable whine at the end of a stroke. Any tips?

I have two 6.5 snares and no whine or extra ping. Keep playing with the reso head.

Yo Drummies! So yesterday I decided to take a crack at one of my old snare drums that has been sitting around for a while. I bought new heads and snares for it. Ambassador top, evans 300 hazy bottom and puresound blaster wires. I feel like i've got it sounding pretty decent but it only sounds good with an E Ring. I'm wondering if all deep maple snare drums have an uncontrollable whine at the end of a stroke. Any tips?

All drums ring. Just be sure to allow it plenty of body and don't choke it.

Let it sing, let it sing! Don't over dampen it or you'll lose all that maple loveliness. Any excessive ring will dissapear in the band sound anyhow. As Gruntersdad says, keep playing with the reso. You may wish to try slightly detuning the two lugs either side of the snares. Say 1/4 turn each should do it. This disturbs the sustain ability of the reso.

Back