Need to choose mic kit

cadwiz

If you had to record with only one of these drum mic kits, which one would yo choose? They're all about the same price. Any feedback welcome.
Thanks

Audix Fusion 7
(3) F10 Snare/Tom Mics
(1) F12 Floor Tom Mic
(1) F14 Kick Drum Mic
(2) F15 Overhead Condenser Mics {Phantom Power Required

Fusion7closed-6d71be8c55415764a7e9038b487b74b1.jpg

Samson 8Kit
2 C01 Large Diaphragm Condensers for overheads
3 Q-toms for dynamic tom micing with integrated rim mount clip
1 Q-snare with integrated rim mount clip for precise snare drum micing
1 Q-kick perfect for capture the low-end attack of bass drums
1 C02H Mini Pencil Condenser for hi-hat or ride cymbals
All microphones feature Gold-plated XLR connections
Complete kit comes packed in a rugged road case

8Kit.jpg

Nady DMK-7 7-Piece Drum Microphone Kit
4 DM70 tom drum mics, 1 DM80 bass drum mic and 2 CM88 cymbal mics
Mics with cardioid pick-up pattern with neodymium element
CM88 mics with uniform and tight cardioid polar pattern
Up to 145dB SPL handling capacity
Transformerless moving-coil dynamic design
Frequency response for DM70: 70Hz-16MHz , DM80: 30Hz-15MHz
All metal construction with rubber shockmount holder
Includes hard carrying case

510R4ES7BYL._SS500_.jpg

CAD 7-Piece Drum Microphone Touring Pack1-Dynamic snare mic (SN210)
3-Dynamic torn mics (TM211)
1-Dynamic large diaphragm kick drum mic (KM212)
2-Mini condenser mics for hi-hat/overheads (CM217)
Integral drum mounts attach to snare/torn rims
Includes protective traveling case

!BOlhno!!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKiYEjlLmfcsHBJvY3u06og~~_1.JPG

Shure PGDMK6 Drum Mic Kit
(3) PG56 Drum Mics
(1) PG52 Kick Mic
(2) PG81 Overhead Mics
(3) A50D Drum Mounts
(6) 15 ft. XLR-XLR Cables
(1) Carrying Case
Owners Manual
shure_pgdmk6_case.jpg

Last edited:
I have only used the full set of the Samson 8 Kit and the clips do break easily. I've had to a quick change-over of mics and the clips are a massive let-down for me.

Have you thought of instead buying second hand two decent over-heads, bass mic and a snare mic?

I have only used the full set of the Samson 8 Kit and the clips do break easily. I've had to a quick change-over of mics and the clips are a massive let-down for me.

Have you thought of instead buying second hand two decent over-heads, bass mic and a snare mic?

gs is right, id go with a
beta52 bass mic
sm57 snare mic
two inexpensive or used overheads

Don't choose the CAD setup you have there...the mics are lower quality, and the mounts suck.....The PMP632C kit has better mics and better mounts....I've used mine lots and love em...

This is a pic of the 5 pc without the pencils....the 632/742 kits have the 2 pencil mics included....
PMP43.jpg

gs is right, id go with a
beta52 bass mic
sm57 snare mic
two inexpensive or used overheads

Thank you, agree on the snare mic and with the overhead try AKG C1000 - battery powered if you need which is an amazing add on feature and not too bad prices pop up on the UK ebay every so often.

Same as Deathmetalconga say, piece the mics together over time if you can wait - best deals that way.

But if you have to get tom mics (they would be picked up anyway by the overheads) then get them last with another few SM57s etc.

I'd go with the audix kit. IF you decide to piece together I'd go with an audix D6.

I got the CAD 7-Piece Drum Microphone Touring Pack you have pictured before I knew anything about mics. The overheads are ok for a live show, and everything else basically sucks. Last live show we mic'd the kit for I used the kick mic as a floor tom mic, the snare mic on a guitar amp, the tom mics on the toms, and borrowed two shures for the kick and the snare. the overheads were ok, and with a borrowed set of horns for the p.a. i had a nice cymbal sound. especially for an outdoor show.

My plan is to piece together a new set of mics. I am going to start with a kick mic when money is around. I am thinking an AKG D 112 to start, probably Shure SM57's for the toms, and not looking to hard at overheads yet. I am going to do my best to buy used, so this list may just change by whats available for the right price. Like I said, I don't mind the pencils that came with the CAD 7-Piece kit. If I was going to record, I would rent something better, but for the few live shows we play that we have to mic and are not provided with gear by the venue, I am ok for now.

Are the AKG mic kits any good? I don't know very much about mics but my guess is shure, akg and beyer dynamics are pretty good.

I got the CAD 7-Piece Drum Microphone Touring Pack you have pictured before I knew anything about mics. The overheads are ok for a live show, and everything else basically sucks.

I own these mics too. I have to agree that the kick mic is OK and the pencil condensors are the best mics in the kit being that they also have a roll off.

IMO, any of the aforementioned sets are OK for an inexpensive live mic set up. Not so great for studio work. I use the CAD mics because they're pretty durable and if a drink gets spilled on them I won't get too upset. All in all they do the job for getting decent sounds out through a PA. I beef up my kick mic with an Earthworks kickpad.

In the studio the pencils sound decent but they are a little bright and thin sounding. On the snare and toms, a SM57 sounds rounder than the CADs.

Either the Shure or the Audix kits would be my choice.

I have the Audix Fusion 4 I believe... Basically the same as 7 w/o Overheads and 1 Tom mic.
I love them and I have a nice Shure overhead that is really great. I use it for my drums and I let my guitar use when recording Acoustic stuff.

If you’re recording and not doing it often I’d RENT better mics. Beta52/D112, 57’s and some nice rode condensers.
If you need a bunch-O-mics on a budget for live most of these packs will work but if it were my money I’d stick to the Sure or Audix. Typically the average run of the mill PA is the gating factor in your pursuit of good sound.
I have some inexpensive apex condensers that do a decent job live picking up the ride and hats but when critically listening on a recording are brutal!

I use the shure mics (PG52 & 56's) there good mics for the money & the the cage around

the mic can take a good beating I'd choose the Shure's if it was me.

Good Luck,
Bonzolead

I decided to go for the Audix Fusion 7. I saw a great deal on Ebay for $244. So I couldn't pass it up.

Thanks ya'll for your input.

You should have kept your eyes peeled a little longer. I paid less than that on Ebay for a set of Audix D Series mics, with stands and cables....

If I could find Audix DP7 for that price I would have bought it. I've been looking for the past month and I couldn't find a NIB DP7 for less than $600.

Sorry, that's just to rich for my blood.

Back