Cheesiest Music Videos from the 1980s

I think that Duran Duran have a lot to answer for.

"Girls on Film" and "Hungry Like the Wolf'...............Never really cared for their music, but loved those videos

I barely remember that video - thanks for posting it. I found this interesting:

Here's a video that killed a promising rock career:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR0j7sModCI

That had to be the weirdest video I'd seen at the time...............his tunes were great, but he should have stayed away from the camera

Here's one I always thought was funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo46BxWYfyk

How could anyone forget this little gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIEVqFB4WUo

I never understood the cross eyed Asian woman. Here's an explanation behind the theme of the video:

Devo funded the music video for "Whip It" with $15,000 USD of their own money. The main visual of the video, Mark Mothersbaugh whipping the clothes off a woman, was inspired by an article in a 1962 issue of "Dude" magazine. In an interview for Songfacts, Casale explains "There was a feature article on a guy who had been an actor and fell on hard times, he wasn't getting parts anymore. He moved with his wife to Arizona, opened a dude ranch and charged people money to come hang out at the ranch. Every day at noon in the corral, for entertainment, he'd whip his wife's clothes off with a 12-foot bullwhip. She sewed the costumes and put them together with Velcro. The story was in the magazine about how good he was and how he never hurt her. We had such a big laugh about it, we said, 'OK, that's the basis for the video. We'll have these cowboys drinking beer and cheering Mark on as he's in the barnyard whipping this pioneer woman's clothes off while the band plays in the corral.'"

In the video, Devo wears black, sleeveless turtlenecks, and their famous Energy Dome headgear. When the video begins, all the members, except for Mark Mothersbaugh, wear the turtlenecks pulled over their faces. During the performance, each member lowers the turtleneck. Robert Mothersbaugh ("Bob 1") plays a Gibson Les Paul with an inverted horn, Robert Casale ("Bob 2") plays a red Rheem Kee Bass, and Alan Myers plays a set of Synare 3 drum synthesizers.

Not surprisingly, the S&M overtones of the video caused controversy. Devo was forced to abandon a television appearance after the host deemed the video offensive to women[citation needed]. Despite this, "Whip It" received heavy rotation on MTV after its introduction in 1981.

I still love you, Billy Squier :)

Haha - the video started very promisingly but the camp arm movements at around 0:30 were like a sudden big bucket of cold water sloshed on me! Why didn't the producer tell him? How they let it be released? What were they thinking??

I'd vote INOG has to be an early winner here - it's the most diabolical dancing on a professional video that I've seen. It makes Mick and Bowie on Dancing in the Street look like Bruce Springsteen :)

Music videos started in the 1980s. I think the dumbest ones are from the 1990s. One was a heavy metal band with women dancing in cages. Don't remember the name.

Anything with Cher.

music videos actually started in the 1960's

the Beatles were among the first to release them

when they didn't want to make personal appearances they would send a music video.....such as Strawberry Fields, Paperback Writer, and Hello Goodbye...etc....

other artists like Bobby Vee with The Night Has A Thousand Eyes were also making music videos in the 1960s

the 80s made them more popular but they were being made decades before MTV

anyway.....this is definitely one of the cheesiest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatorN4P9aA

But the cheesiest, worst video, of all time, is not from the 80's.
No, the worst, most cheese video ever is Metallica's version of "Turn the Page."
Take a great song, and make a pretty good cover of it. And then make a video that has NOTHING to do with the lyrics, that doesn't in the least bit tie into the intensity of the song, but have it full shots of a stripper working a pole. A formerly great band took a great song, and ruined both all in one 3-4 minute clip. All of metal and rock should be embarrassed for that.

I disagree about this one. I think it chooses the stripper/prostitute lifestyle to illustrate the darker, seedier side of the music business. The original song was about the hard, dark parts about being a traveling musician, so I don't think it's that much of a stretch.

When she says, given the chance to start over, she would make the same choices - I think that speaks for a lot of musicians, despite the hardships and social scorn they might face.

Plus, that's Ginger Lynn! ;-)

Back