Your preferred music genres?

ageadm

Hey folks,

I'd like to know what music genres you're into.

Personally I'm really into metal (death, metalcore, thrash and nu), don't know if I should call myself a metalhead though, I don't have long hair lol. I also listen to a lot of Alternative and Indie rock.
Started listening to some Jazz too lately - great music.

What about you?

Fusion
Be-Bop
Hard Rock
Classic Rock

It's much shorter to list stuff I know I definitely don't like. Rap littered with expletives, corporate manufactured pop. I gravitate to rock, jazz, fusion, and such, but I'll listen to nearly anything. My playlist looks like someone ran through a record store, took nine records at random from every section, and took the fifth selection from each.

I think we always keep a place in our hearts for the music we grew up with, and to which we usually learned to play drums. In my case, I will always love music from the '60s and '70s, and several of the genres that existed then: pop, rock, R&B, funk, prog (we called it Art Rock at the time), and even disco. I also love New Wave, early techno/dance, and alternative. I guess those would be my preferred genres. If I had to play gigs in any or all of those styles for the rest of my life, that would be fine with me!

But I listen to and appreciate pretty much everything else as well: big band, jazz, latin, country, classical, Reggae, rap, hard rock & metal, new age, etc.

Bermuda

I agree with Bermuda. The genre that is most near and dear to me is the Philadelphia Soul period from the early to mid 1970s. I say it began with the Delfonics and includes Spinners, O'Jay's, Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes (Teddy!), and peaked with the Stylistics' falsetto of Russell Thompkins. All backed usually by the simple drumming of the great Earl Young. Food for the soul. But yeah the 1960s and 1970s are the cream of the crop.

Last edited:
I go through fads where I obsess about an artist for a while, like ...

King Crimson, White Stripes, Dusty Springfield, John Zorn, Deep Purple, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, Cinematic Orchestra, Led Zep, Max Roach, Peter Gabriel, Pharoah Sanders, The Carpenters, Uncle Frank, Black Dub, Deep Forest, Trane, Joe Cocker, Weather Report, The Beatles, RATM, The Police, Art Blakey, Pink Floyd, Crowded House, Luigi Russolo, Midnight Oil, The Stones, Sting, Miles, The Tubes, ELP, Queen, Lou Reed, The Who, Joni Mitchell, Gong, KD Lang, Tom Waits, BB King, Henry Cow, Jimi, Soft Machine, Benny Goodman, Velvet Underground, Aretha Franklin, Gentle Giant, Black Keys, Jeff Beck, Cream, Art Ensemble, Bruford, Free, Steve Hillage, The Dodos, Diana Ross, Jethro Tull, John Cage, John Mayer, Osibisa, Blind Faith, David Bowie, Santana, Eno, Michael Buble, Nina Hagen, Talking Heads, Govt Mule, Gil Scott Heron, Tribal Tech, Tim Buckley, Jeff Buckley, Genesis, The Clash, Black Sabbath, Amon Tobin, Nina Simone, Charles Lloyd, Diana Krall, Cold Chisel, Ed Kuepper, Elton John, Hoodoo Gurus, Mahavishnu, Supertramp, Joe Jackson, Captain Beefheart ...

I'm not as keyed into genre classifications as I used to be. When you listen to enough fabulous acts of different styles you'll probably find something you like in any genre. I've enjoyed at least some music in all genres, but I enjoy very few songs the styles in Al's list. Not mad on country and country rock as a rule either, though Earl Scruggs, KD Lang, The Doobies, Allmans and Eagles have their killer tracks.

I think we always keep a place in our hearts for the music we grew up with, and to which we usually learned to play drums.

This is certainly my case.

I grew up on listening and playing to early jazz from 20's - 50's (pre-bop) as it was my Dad who was also a drummer that played to it and was pretty much all that was played in the house until Soul Train came on TV.

My exploration took me to Bop and beyond, Motown, Rock, Funk and Country.

Bottom line though, I still love and listen to the music that came before many of us were born (1920's-50's) and still purchase CD's with the music from this period.

Call me old school or hokey, I don't mind.

My genres are a little more simple and boring. I like jazz, indie and Christian music mostly. I can appreciate most styles of music except rap and death metal.

My favorite genres is one thats not really known for its drumming. Beyond that, it's also where my favorite kind of drummers come from. Singer/songwriter. Damien Jurado, Ray Lamontagne and especially Joe Purdys drummers are lovely, soulful creatures.

For me it's all about the 70's and 80's. Mostly rock and pop but no metal. Anything from ELO to Rush, Phil Collins (with and without Genesis) to Clapton, Steely Dan to The Greg Kihn Band. LOL a little square, I know, but for me it's all about music that's fun and that makes me want to sing and play along. If I were to join a band, a 70's and 80's cover band would be right up my alley.

Rock N Roll, of course.

All kinds of stuff...blues, folk, funk, reggae, ska, jazz, punk, world music (whatever that means) even some metal or classical. Once per year I'll allow myself to listen to country. ha ha! just kidding...

personally.. my tastes in tunes is laughably contradictory as far as mkst peolle would be concerned..

if im in my car .. i would be putting on brain testing metal to the likes of haunted shores, sikth, CloudKicker & Periphery.. i dont dislike vocalists.. but the majority of the time.. i prefer to listen to instrumentals..

turn the coin over

and im a sucker for catchy jazz. when im by myself drumming.. i play jazz/hip hop type catchy beat stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7m_smf57tI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
^example

but yeah.. metal and weather channel jazz & smooth elevator music. ;)

To play drums to: anything that pays.

wow.. really?
no offense bro.. but WTF is that?

if ur a fella who drums .. who drums to a point where he posts on a forum dedicated solely to & for drumming.. yet will only play if it pays?

i mean no disrespect.. but i dunno whether to feel sorry for you or roundhouse you.

yeah, obviously.. $ is excellent. but, say u WERENT catching coin for drumming.. if the occasional jam sesh (with the knowledge that people will hear it via either live show or recording) dont do it for ya.. then jog the fuck on and get a different hobby.. needle point, perhaps.. cuz "i only play for $" is hysterically lame to those of us with passion about the instrument.

Last edited by a moderator:
cuz "i only play for $" is hysterically lame to those of us with passion about the instrument.

And hysterically necessary for those who earn a living from it.

But that aside, you've missed his point entirely......not to mention responded quite rudely. A bit OTT I reckon mate.

Last edited:
Back