Cheap recording tips?

RockApe

Hi,
I've watched plenty of videos on You Tube of folk playing drums etc, some of whom seem to have achieved a really nice sound. I've tried doing the same to enable me to review my playing but the drums always come out sounding awful. Can anyone recommend a cheap and simple way to get a half decent sound? iPhone? Video cam? (PS my kit is pretty well tuned before any clever dick suggests that as an issue!) Thanks.

Get a Zoom Q3HD (or whatever their HD video recorder with stereo mics is - it might be the Q2 now, I think). The stereo mics pick up everything pretty realistically, and the video isn't bad. That's the cheapest thing you can do. Of course, you can go cheaper if you eliminate the video camera part and get a nice audio recorder with built-in stereo microphones too.

Get a Zoom Q3HD (or whatever their HD video recorder with stereo mics is - it might be the Q2 now, I think). The stereo mics pick up everything pretty realistically, and the video isn't bad. That's the cheapest thing you can do. Of course, you can go cheaper if you eliminate the video camera part and get a nice audio recorder with built-in stereo microphones too.
I'm in complete agreement with Bo here - great tool, & by far the most economical rout to a fairly representative audio/video capture. Built in mic's fitted to mobile phones and "normal" video cameras are generally woeful.

Check in here :) http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118743

Reviving a 7 year old thread looking for updated suggestions to the same question as the OP.

I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max and absolutely zero recording gear.

I've been getting okay drum recordings with two mics and a two channel interface.
Lots of YT vids on two-mic drums.

Also, there's lots of good press for the Yamaha EAD10.

Reviving a 7 year old thread looking for updated suggestions to the same question as the OP.
I proposed to the admins here to lock threads more than 2 years old. That way we can still access them for knowledge, but not bring them back for discussion.
Maybe they'll do it one day, but until they do...you get to read some history you wish you'd forgotten. ;)

I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max and absolutely zero recording gear.
10sMax owner here & I've used that for a lot of gig recording. Worked decent enough to keep & use as study material.
I'll hit up a GoPro one day & dedicate that for recording.

Thanks, but the key word is "cheap" )and the second keyword is simple; remember I'm a dummer not a sound engineer). The EAD10 retails for $600 without any accessories. I know there are pro systems costing thousands USD, I'm thinking $200-300...or would that entail regressing technologically about 10 years?

My two channel interface and a couple pretty okay LDC mics set me back about that, and I've seen interfaces with more channels locally, used, that could do that as well.

Thanks, but the key word is "cheap" )and the second keyword is simple; remember I'm a dummer not a sound engineer). The EAD10 retails for $600 without any accessories. I know there are pro systems costing thousands USD, I'm thinking $200-300...or would that entail regressing technologically about 10 years?

I hear ya,

It's not a tech regression, as Mic->Interface->DAW is still the standard for other acoustic instruments and has a rich ecosystem of products and support. EAD is... ~4 years old?

The benefit of the EAD 10 is that you don't have to become a sound engineer, as you typically do with M>I>D setups. It does all of that for you. No mics, no cables, no Interface, very low barrier of entry. Low academic investment to produce acceptable results.

If you go the M>I>D, I'd recommend starting with a pair of decent LDC's adding dynamics as you find you need them. Understand that there is an academic investment. You'll spend quite a bit of time learning the ins and outs of recording.

A number of people go with the Zoom or GoPro route. To me, the recordings are audible, but everything sounds like it was recorded on a field recorder. I concede that it's the simplest.

I hear ya,

It's not a tech regression, as Mic->Interface->DAW is still the standard for other acoustic instruments and has a rich ecosystem of products and support. EAD is... ~4 years old?

The benefit of the EAD 10 is that you don't have to become a sound engineer, as you typically do with M>I>D setups. It does all of that for you. No mics, no cables, no Interface, very low barrier of entry. Low academic investment to produce acceptable results.

If you go the M>I>D, I'd recommend starting with a pair of decent LDC's adding dynamics as you find you need them. Understand that there is an academic investment. You'll spend quite a bit of time learning the ins and outs of recording.

A number of people go with the Zoom or GoPro route. To me, the recordings are audible, but everything sounds like it was recorded on a field recorder. I concede that it's the simplest.

Thanks I appreciate the insight! Like anything, you get what you pay for right? Sort of like computer equipement...

Simple/cheap = limited functionality and low quality results
Complicated/expensive = extensive capabilities and high quality results

What do you think about something like this?: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Yamaha/Md4s-MultiTrack-Recorder.gc

Since I don't (plan to) record for any purpose other than my own amusement, enrichment and improvement (and perhaps annoying you guys in the appropriate forum), the final sound quality is secondary to actually affording the equipment.

I recorded for years on a Tascam DP-01FXCD similar to that, before that I used a Tascam cassette 4 track recorder. I still have both.
Got decent results with them, even have a few mixes online somewhere, but the music is not good, so, nevermind. :D
Any decent recorder with decent mics will make decent recordings with a little work.

Thanks I appreciate the insight! Like anything, you get what you pay for right? Sort of like computer equipement...

Simple/cheap = limited functionality and low quality results
Complicated/expensive = extensive capabilities and high quality results

What do you think about something like this?: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Yamaha/Md4s-MultiTrack-Recorder.gc

Since I don't (plan to) record for any purpose other than my own amusement, enrichment and improvement (and perhaps annoying you guys in the appropriate forum), the final sound quality is secondary to actually affording the equipment.

Back