Heads for Ludwig Centennial Kit

DrumDood

Hey everybody,

I'm looking for new heads on my Ludwig Centennial toms (12x9, 14x14, 16x14), and I was wondering if you guys had any tips.

Here's a background:

I got the kit and immediately put on coated Evans EC2 SST's on the batters, and Evans Resonant EC2's on the resonants. But after months of tuning and experimentation to find the best sound that these drums and heads have to offers, the tone is too dark, the attack is too pronounced, the stick sound is too plasticky and slappy (it sounds fake and low-quality), and my rack tom (12x9) sounds dead.

I'm looking for a drumhead combination that will give me:
  • a warm, low/mid-low frequency bump
  • control over high overtones
  • a mid-short resonance length (that isn't choked or dead),
  • a more round, balanced attack/decay ratio that is articulate and punchy, but natural and not choked or sharp or slappy/plasticy.

Right now, I'm considering putting Evans coated G2's on all the batters, a clear G1 on the 12x9 resonant, and a clear G2 on the 14x14 and 16x14 resonants.

Alternately, I think that coated Remo heads might offer the natural, warm sound that I'm looking for, if I choose the combinations correctly. I'm leaning towards coated Emperors on all the batters, and either clear Emperors or clear Diplomats (or maybe even coated Emperors or Ambassadors) for the resonants. I feel like coated Remo batters would be best for my high quality, maple, large drums, but I'm not sure how I would match up my ideal Remo combo. And if I went Remo, I would probably rely on Moongel for my overtone control.

To summarize that boatload of information, I'm looking for a warm, controlled, round sound that does not sound fake, plasticy or choked. How would you guys suggest that I do that?

Aquarian Modern Vintage medium or coated Studio-X batters with Classic Clear resonants.

Aquarian heads tune up easily, have a great warm tone and bullet-proof coating. I've played Remo off and on in the past and Evans for more than 15 years but I've never been happier with the sound I get from my drums since switching to Aquarian.

I can't recommend them highly enough.

Why did you put EC2's as the resonant heads? Most drummers would never do that. Those heads are way too dead to give you much resonance. I have gotten good sounds from my Gretsch Catalina toms by using clear G2's on top and EC Resonant heads on the bottom. EC Resonant heads are made to resonate; whereas EC2's are not. The problem is not Evans; the problem is your choice for the bottom heads. If you want to try Remo, that is cool. Put a one-ply head on the bottom. Good luck.

I have the Centennial Moto kit. I use Coated Emperors on the batters and Clear Ambassadors on the bottom. I like the sound so far, although the coating wears quite quickly. I use a few pieces of moongel when necessary to focus the sound even more (but that's more of a tuning thing).

When its time to replace the heads, I may look for a Coated Emperor substitute just because the coating wears off so quickly.

I have the Centennial Moto kit. I use Coated Emperors on the batters and Clear Ambassadors on the bottom. I like the sound so far, although the coating wears quite quickly. I use a few pieces of moongel when necessary to focus the sound even more (but that's more of a tuning thing).

When its time to replace the heads, I may look for a Coated Emperor substitute just because the coating wears off so quickly.

Aquarian response 2, the coating stays on forever it seems. I was a emperor user... not anymore, aquarian is a much better product IMO.

Go with a single ply clear head on the bottom, like an Evans G1, Remo Ambassador, or Aquarian Classic clear.
For batters, I would suggest a coated Aquarian Studio-X, or Super-2.

Edit: I own this kit, btw. The toms are Coated Super-2's over Smooth White Remo Ambassadors. The bass is a Coated Emperor with a felt strip with the stock PS3 style reso, no port. Crank those bottom heads up!!!! It's warm and round and full, and clean sounding.

Last edited:
I have a Centennial Moto. I put EC2s on the rack and first floor (a smaller 16"x14"), and a Pinstripe on the big floor tom (18"x16"). Love the sound of it.
I also took the rack tom off the hanger and put it on a stand. Sounds more in line with the other drums that way to me.

Why did you put EC2's as the resonant heads? Most drummers would never do that. Those heads are way too dead to give you much resonance. I have gotten good sounds from my Gretsch Catalina toms by using clear G2's on top and EC Resonant heads on the bottom. EC Resonant heads are made to resonate; whereas EC2's are not. The problem is not Evans; the problem is your choice for the bottom heads. If you want to try Remo, that is cool. Put a one-ply head on the bottom. Good luck.

Thanks for commenting. First of all, there was a typo. I have EC Resonant heads on the resonant side of my toms.

As for the clear G2's, my only worry is that they will make the sound too long, and I'll end up needing to moongel it beyond G2 sound in order to control high frequency overtones.

Well, they are lively shells with lots of sustain. If found that they have a tuning area that gave great focus and tone without too much ring. I really hate ring. But it doesn't seem to really be an issue here for me.

Back