electronic drums and Finale

ryoutsu

I want to get myself an electronic drum set and record my drumming. I am unable to afford the more expensive drum sets like the Roland TD-12, so I was going to go with the Alesis DM5 Pro Kit. The question is, is it possible to connect the drum's output to the computer, so that I can record the drum using sounds made from Finale, the notation software? I think the midi sounds from Finale are better than those on the cheaper drum modules, and plus it gives me more options. So, is it possible? thanks.

Any drum module with a midi output on it can connect to a computer. You'll have to buy a midi interface, such as one that will have midi plug on one end and a USB plug on the other. Then, you can record using either the module's sounds or the computer's sounds. Understand that sometimes it is a little hard to sync up the midi sounds just right, though. You might get a little latency (notes sounding late) that you'll have to fix. Also, if you record and want to edit the way the track sounds, you'll have to edit it from within a program that lets you edit a midi track. Changing levels and such on the drum module won't have any effect on the midi track. Also understand that the computer sounds you hear in Finale are not Finale's sounds at all - Finale is just using the midi sounds that were already on your computer (unless you've got one of the new versions of Finale with the built-in sampled sounds).

Thanks, than I have a couple more questions.

1. For a midi cable, I have a single cable which has a midi cable on one side and a a USB cable on the other. That would work to connect the drum set right?
2. Instead of Finale, can Battery 3 be triggered?
3. Does the Alesis DM5 or Pro Kit have a function where you can hold the cymbals to stop them from ringing after it has been hit by sticks?

1. Yeah, probably. Find a buddy with a keyboard with a midi output on it, and test it with that. It will work the same way with the drums (the computer doesn't know the difference).

2. Yes. Anything with midi capability. (I don't really know anything about that program, but a Google search brought up people that do use it with that, along with many other software instruments).

3. You'll have to check on that. Apparently, most of them do not come stock with chokeable cymbals, but you may be able to modify the set or upgrade some things. Even if you can make them choke, I don't know if it will cause the sounds on your computer to choke or not.

My experience with electronic kits is mostly limited to Roland, and to be honest I've not really ever used them much in the way you're wanting to use them.

Good luck!

Back