More Shuffle Independence

feldiefeld

Here is a worksheet that will allow you to develop cymbal independence while playing shuffles. It's a bit of a new idea, but one I've begun working on and I think the results will be helpful in my playing. I've always found myself feeling "in a box" when playing shuffles and this is an attempt to break out of that…. Hope you find it helpful or interesting.

http://www.bangthedrumschool.com/more-shuffle-independence/

more-shuffle-independence.jpg

I love this stuff.. I'm a bit of a shuffle demon myself. Jim Chapin describes the pull out strokes (the ghosted notes before the beat) as ' touching you finger to a hot stove'. When I first got into shuffles, it took me a while to really master those.. but now I swing them in my sleep. The control strokes (after the beat) are much easier.. like falling off a log.
Other things to try:
- There's no kick pattern shown; but I would either feather the bass or shuffle it here and there as well.. right up to a full shuffle with the foot.
- It's also fun to morph that shuffle pattern into a 6/8 shuffle and back again..
- and it's also fun to play around with tightening vs. loosening the shuffle

hey Moxman!
yes….. I didn't write in a bass drum part because quarter notes down there are the way to go generally……

glad you like it.

I like your explanation of Chapin's description. I am using Moeller to make those strokes….but I think that is what you're describing anyway…..

Thanks for your feedback….most appreciated.

Great ideas...thanks.
Moxman, lately I've been focusing on the concept of tightening and loosening the shuffle. I used to just play it the way I worked it out. Then I started listening to some Blues players and how they space the shuffle. I started wondering what dictates how loose or tight you should make it. I'm sure the rule of thumb is you must listen to the instruments you are playing with and the character of the song. It's a kind of recent epiphany to me that I never gave much thought. Will an experienced band tell you what they want? I've been in a band for many years and if I suddenly start really tightening up my shuffle it will most certainly affect the way they play it. Make sense?

Yes.. I like Jim Chapins description too! it's kind of like a light pull out stroke and then the on-the-beat stroke is like pulling away like you touched a stove. It's one way to get some 'power' into the accent.. you kind of spring 'off' it.

re. loose and tight shuffles.. yes you are right it depends on the character of the song.
I've heard it described like this;
A tight shuffle is dotted eighth type pattern (bang-shang-a-lang--a-lang--a-lang- etc.)
A loose shuffle is a triplet style pattern (1-2-3 1- - 3 1- - 3 1- -3 etc.).
It's a subtle difference... but lot's of wiggle room to go round :)
eg. the Chicago shuffle is a swing shuffle where both the snare and ride are playing dotted eighth type patterns.

Last edited:
Back