Gretsch Renown Maple?

Narwhal

I'm looking into buying a used Gretsch Renown Maple kit. Is there anything I should be wary of? I believe the kit is a 2004 model, in yellow oyster pearl wrap. The kit has 8", 10",12",14" toms and a 18" x 22" bass drum. I've been told they are 6 ply shells. Any idea what the value of the kit would be? I've been trying to research gretsch kits but I don't seem to be getting too much great information, any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you like the finish "slate silver sparkle", that's a great price for that Renown kit..

Dennis

I took a chance on the Musician's Friend Renown deal -- got the silver sparkle. It definitely wasn't my first choice for a finish, but I was pleasantly surprised once they arrive. Oh, and they sound fantastic. I'd put them up against any of the other kits I've owned -- including Pearl Masters Premiums, Mapex Saturns and Yamaha Birch Absolutes.

The best part is that they gave me an additional 10% off -- got the kit for $809 shipped!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 4,056
Congrats on the deal. Did that come with 10, ,12, 14 and 22 or 20 inch bass drum. My bass has 10 lugs at 22 inch and that appears to be 8 lugs.

Yes it is just the bass drum and 4 toms, the seller will also include the maple snare it comes with since I'm driving a good distance to get them. They're asking $600, btw.

Thanks guys.

The kit is 20x16, 10x8, 12x9 and 14x12. Musician's Friend advertised it as 14x14, but it sounds great nonetheless.

Originally, I ordered Inca Gold, but the kit arrived damaged so I had to 'settle' for silver -- it's not too bad, especially for the price.

Narwal, if I were you, and seeing that these kits are being blown-out currently, I'd try to get a new kit with a warranty...just my $0.02.

Well $300 is a big difference and puts the new kit slightly out of my range. I won't be gigging with this kit, it'll stay in my basement, so the warranty doesn't seem like as big of a deal to me.

Back