Evans Onyx...anyone tried them?

EvansPM

As you may have heard, we launched the new Onyx series at NAMM. the series includes Onyx tom/snare heads, an Onyx bass resonant, and an EMAD Onyx. They started shipping out to retailers in late December and I'm just wondering if anyone out there has had the chance to try them yet.

We'd really love to get some feedback.

Thanks,
Mike - Evans Senior Product Manager

I haven't tried them yet, but I'd like to hear the reviews too. Also, not to hijack the thread, but I'm happy to see a rep from Evans post on the board. I'm really curious about the G-Plus and EC-1 heads- can you give me some insight on what the advantages/tonal differences are between the G-Plus and G1, and the EC-1 and the EC-2? Specifically, I'm wondering what tonal differences a single 12 mil ply yields as compared to a single 10, and what a single 14 mil ply (!) yields compared to a double 7-mil...

It'd be super-awesome if Evans had sound samples on the website.

Glad to help...

the 12mil thickness of the G Plus is going to deliver a slightly darker sound, more attack, and a little more pitch focus compared to a standard 10mil single-ply...but you'll still have the open sound quality and full sustain. It's also significantly more durable.

the difference between the 14mil single-ply EC1 and the 14mil double-ply EC2 is that the EC1 delivers a dense and pitchy tone...still with a decent amount of sustain. The decay of the EC1 is also slower taper (quicker than a standard 1-ply, but more gradual than a 2ply). the feel of the EC1 is also still that of a single-ply...it has a bounce that kicks the stick back quicker.

The EC2 has a more focused low-end and a quick taper to the sustain. It has a beefy and warm tone and a lot of attack. It also has more "stop" in the feel...where the stick doesn't bounce as much and players can "play into the head" more. This is true of double-ply heads in general.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Yeah, very helpful. Thanks for that!

I may try the g-plus clear one of these days.

So far any drumhead I put on my Trick kit sounds good in it's own way. I am after the round and slightly dark sound like Mike Portnoy's kit.

I currently have resonant glass on bottom and pinstripes on top. (Emad on the kick and reverse pc on snare over hazy 300)

bear in mind my kit is tonally neutral, it has no peaky overtones.

I tried the following with the following results on my kit:
- G plus coated--- too dry and a touch flat on my drums
- G2 coated- sounded pretty good, but I was after a "wetter" tone
- Ec-2 clears: these tended to flatten the tone of the smallest toms and get a touch slappy on the larger toms.
- G2 clears: pretty good with a dab of moongel, but they favored attack, and were a bit brighter than I was after.

It may sound picky, but so far, the pinstripes have not been as flattening as the ec's, and don't have that bright slap of the clear g2/ec2's.

That is why I am guessing the g plus clears might be right on the money as well.

I may try the g-plus clear one of these days.

So far any drumhead I put on my Trick kit sounds good in it's own way. I am after the round and slightly dark sound like Mike Portnoy's kit.

I currently have resonant glass on bottom and pinstripes on top. (Emad on the kick and reverse pc on snare over hazy 300)

bear in mind my kit is tonally neutral, it has no peaky overtones.

I tried the following with the following results on my kit:
- G plus coated--- too dry and a touch flat on my drums
- G2 coated- sounded pretty good, but I was after a "wetter" tone
- Ec-2 clears: these tended to flatten the tone of the smallest toms and get a touch slappy on the larger toms.
- G2 clears: pretty good with a dab of moongel, but they favored attack, and were a bit brighter than I was after.

It may sound picky, but so far, the pinstripes have not been as flattening as the ec's, and don't have that bright slap of the clear g2/ec2's.

That is why I am guessing the g plus clears might be right on the money as well.

Maybe you should try the (drumroll) Blach Onyx heads!

trkdrmr,

I think G Plus clear might be the first thing to try...at least on the smaller drums...then maybe Ec1 clear on the larger drums if you want some control there. Those two heads are made using different thicknesses of the same film type (and the EC1 has the ring as well)...so you're going to have a fairly consistent timbre from drum to drum and it'll give you the open tone on the racks and the fatness on the floors that "I think" i'm reading that you're after.

the Onyx heads are going to be dark, focused, and very punchy. they're great for agressive play, but based on your descriptions of what you've tried and like/disliked about each...they're probably not the right choice for you.

Mike

trkdrmr,

I think G Plus clear might be the first thing to try...at least on the smaller drums...then maybe Ec1 clear on the larger drums if you want some control there. Those two heads are made using different thicknesses of the same film type (and the EC1 has the ring as well)...so you're going to have a fairly consistent timbre from drum to drum and it'll give you the open tone on the racks and the fatness on the floors that "I think" i'm reading that you're after.

the Onyx heads are going to be dark, focused, and very punchy. they're great for agressive play, but based on your descriptions of what you've tried and like/disliked about each...they're probably not the right choice for you.

Mike

Ok, sounds fair. Thanks for responding!

It might go to that... 8/10/12 the open g plus clear and the 14/16 the ec-1 clear. Or maybe g-plus+ a dab of moongel if required....hmm decisions

heres something ive always wanted to know from Evans.

if you go to the Resonant Tom head section ( http://store.daddario.com/category/148286 ) there you will see the G1 and the genera resonant.

both at 10mil heads and neither have them have like a ring on them or something to differentiate them..

whats the difference? lol

I heard once that Genera Resonant is supposed to produce brighter tones.

Don't hold me to that, its just something I thought I have heard.

I haven't tryed them yet, but my impressions are that it is similar to the hydraulics in the fact that is cuts down resination, and relitively similar sounds.

I really liked the hydraulics on a set of yamaha customs, I played on in highschool.

I was going to get the hydraulics for a maple set I have, but I heard that they are better for birch?

I was thinking maybe onyx might be a good substute.

I also love durable heads.

Here's some feedback: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=221906

In my opinion, if you want to compete with Remo rather than just copy them (which the Onyx heads obviously are), I have an idea:

What if you made limited edition multicolored heads? Red drum heads, blue drum heads, purple drum heads, pink drum heads, yellow drum heads, orange drum heads, green drum heads, and all sorts of colors! Then, you can sell them for a few months, everybody will think you're a trendy, creative company, and the heads will be worth twice as much within 5 years.

I'll be glad to field test a set of 8, 10, 12, and 14 toms heads if you wish..You decide what you would like tested and give me a buzz. I will give you an honest opinion. The description sounds exactly like the sound I am after. Let me know.

I'll be glad to field test a set of 8, 10, 12, and 14 toms heads if you wish..You decide what you would like tested and give me a buzz. I will give you an honest opinion. The description sounds exactly like the sound I am after. Let me know.

Don't you have to pay for them if you want to try them...?

As you may have heard, we launched the new Onyx series at NAMM. the series includes Onyx tom/snare heads, an Onyx bass resonant, and an EMAD Onyx. They started shipping out to retailers in late December and I'm just wondering if anyone out there has had the chance to try them yet.

We'd really love to get some feedback.

Thanks,
Mike - Evans Senior Product Manager

I like the Remo Suede series these appear to emulate. I prefer the single ply myself. I think the choice to go with the black is a mistake. They look terrible and will be out of vogue in short order and turns the more traditional user base off which I would think is a larger group.

I think the G Plus line is more unique and fills a niche and should be receiving your marketing push. The 14 ply EQ1 is just a little thick for a single ply. It feels like hitting a practice pad. Its too stiff and the ring sucks the life out of it for my taste. The 12mil might just fit the bill nicely for a fuller sound without going 2ply

Don't you have to pay for them if you want to try them...?
You don't think Evans can afford 4 drum heads to test. They want us to test them. That is like Beta Testing Computer software. I was among 500 people that beta tested Avery's new Label printing software. They sent us the program, and new labels every week to test and do a project then report on it. Some of those label packs cost more that drum heads. If you want people to test your product you have to put it out there. They have marketing budgets like any other good company.

You don't think Evans can afford 4 drum heads to test. They want us to test them. That is like Beta Testing Computer software. I was among 500 people that beta tested Avery's new Label printing software. They sent us the program, and new labels every week to test and do a project then report on it. Some of those label packs cost more that drum heads. If you want people to test your product you have to put it out there. They have marketing budgets like any other good company.

Hmmm, that makes sense, I guess.

I'm with GD on this, I'll second the test. 10, 12 and 14 (X2 for the snare). I'm running a set of Black Suede right now...would be just to have a set of Onyx to compare against.

Back