Which Evans head is closer?

No such thing; the Skyntone is pretty unique in the drumhead world. Evans isn't really into the faux calfskin corner of the market, though the J1 and the Strata have some warmer tone qualities.

If you're interested in the Skyntone, you'll need to get that.

Why not try a real calfskin head? It'll be the feel and sound you're looking for with all the old-skool headaches too!

Or check out the Aquarian Modern Vintage heads. Great tone and a coating that lasts forever. No old-skool headaches... :)

Why not try a real calfskin head? It'll be the feel and sound you're looking for with all the old-skool headaches too!

Uhhhhhhhhh, thanks Bo, It is the headaches that I am trying to avoid. A guy down the road has cattle, and I suppose that I could sneak over there in the dead of night and rustle one. It would take some time to skin it, scrape it down and tan it, but might be cheaper than buying heads . . . .

I've just started using the Modern Vintage II and Deep Vintage and I think they're fantastic. Right now my Ludwig kit has a MVII over MV medium on the 12" tom and Deep Vintage II over MV medium on the 16" and a Super Kick Modern Vintage II on the BD. COB Supra also has a Deep Vintage and that sounds great too.

I liked the single ply version a lot but these are even better to me. They have a much fatter tone and a more centered pitch.

The J1 etched is probably closest to the Skyntone. Personally I much prefer the Aquarian MV Medium head to the J1 or Skyntone.

Back