Gretsch New Classics w no silver sealer

incrementalg

Gold Member
I know these are discontinued, but I thought it'd be interesting to share. This particular finish in the New Classic line had no silver sealer. I saw a clip where John Palmer at Gretsch explained they wanted to try something different tonally and also thought the natural color inside better complimented this particular finish.

Anywho...check these out with no silver sealer.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T31axre323Q

Makes me wonder what the Renowns, Brooklyns or USA Customs would sound like sans silver sealer? Me wonders if Gretsch would ever make the silver sealer optional.

Makes me wonder what the Renowns, Brooklyns or USA Customs would sound like sans silver sealer? Me wonders if Gretsch would ever make the silver sealer optional.

A Renown without silver sealer and and using triple flanged hoops would sound almost exactly like a Gretsch Marquee. Slightly different shell comp, but ultimately the same kit.

A Renown without silver sealer and and using triple flanged hoops would sound almost exactly like a Gretsch Marquee. Slightly different shell comp, but ultimately the same kit.

I checked out the Marquee drums a little and found the finish on the inner she'll looked rough. It looked like the grain was raised and it was dyed instead of sealed. I'd love to hear a Renown shell with die cast hoops and no sealer. The birch Renowns don't have sealer, so maybe those will be a good reference.

What did you think of the clip?

The drums on the clip sound great. I imagine w/o sealer they may also sound like Catalina maple.

What did you think of the clip?

It sounds 'a lot' like my Renown. Honestly, the attributes that come with the the shell, edge, heads, rims, and the hardware are so dominant that subtlies like sealer are lost on my ears. I'd have to personally A/B them to hear and reconcile the difference.

Back