Should I play or no?

vosscop

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I have been playing (seriously) for about three months. I have had periods in the past where I would try to learn but work or some other issue would absorb the time I should have been putting into drumming. I'm improving. I normally pick things up fairly quickly. Now I'm nervous. A guy I work with had his band leave to go play another venue. He is now looking for a drummer. I told him without hesitation I would do it. The first show is in two days. Now I'm afraid I'm going to screw it up. He says it will be fine we're just playing for fun! He plays older country type music (Eddie Rabbit, Alabama type stuff). Not really my style but that's what I've been listening to and trying to play lately. I want to play for people I just doubt I'm actually ready. I do not read music,I play by ear. Just wondering what some of you guys think.

You told him you'd do it and now you wanna pull out two days before show time and leave him holding the ball? Come on, are you a man or are you a mouse? :)

Do it mate. He's already taken the pressure off you. I'd take "playing for fun" to mean just that. Sounds like you have nothing to prove to anyone but yourself. Here's your opportunity to do it, I reckon.

I want to play for people I just doubt I'm actually ready.

No time like the present to find out then, is there?

I've always been of the mindset that if you can hold a beat, play solid time, you can follow and interect with other musicians, then you're ready. Test yourself. Go find out mate.

Be sure to let us all know how it goes, hey.

I absolutely want to do it I just don't want to screw it up ya know? I've told him we need to practice before we play together. His reply was he'll it's country music it's all the same beat anyway! I'm excited yet apprehensive about my current abilities. Thanks for the reassurance.

Do it!

Play the songs as simply as you need to stay within your comfort zone, even if that means playing the money beat all night.

Has he ever heard your playing at all? Record some country beats on your phone and send them to him to listen to. If he approves, then you can rest easy.

I've been trying. They just show up and play. He hasn't even asked to hear me play. Guess he trusts me! Keep in mind this is a couple guys that play this one venue once a week. I've heard some of their stuff. The old drummer lost time often. None of them seemed to mind. I guess I have a little more pride than he did.

I've been trying. They just show up and play. He hasn't even asked to hear me play. Guess he trusts me! Keep in mind this is a couple guys that play this one venue once a week. I've heard some of their stuff. The old drummer lost time often. None of them seemed to mind. I guess I have a little more pride than he did.

Then you should have no problem then...

DO IT!!!

:)

I played a gig not long after I started playing drums.. The concert band I was trumpeting for threw me in the deep end. It was humbling. Last week at the jam night they wanted me to play jazz.. And again it was a humbling experience. I think it's great when you suck because you get angry and that makes you want to improve.

Practice along to some country music for a few hours today and tomorrow.

Did they at least give you a set list?

do it, if he doesn't ask you play advanced fills, or time changes. just play simple beats, and keep the timing, that's what drummers are all about! and good luck mate!

Dooooooo Eeeeeeeet.

You'll have a ball. You won't suck nearly as bad as your imagination is telling you. You'll get an awesome high, and then you'll come back here and tell us all about it.

I look forward to reading your "Duuuuuuuuuude! It was TOTALLY RAD!" post. :-D

cropped-just-do-it1.jpg

So you haven't even rehearsed once,your friend knows you've only been playing 3 months,never played with a band before,and you still have no set list...is that about right?

Although I wish you all the luck in the world,this should be an epic failure,but that's NOT a bad thing.This experience will teach you more about what NOT to do,if you learn the lessons that are learnable here.

Even the pros,who are in the same bands with each other,rehearse before performing.If you learn nothing else,learn that.Best of luck

Steve B

Last edited:
If your work colleague knows you have only been playing for 3 months he is not expecting John Bonham to show up. As others stated here keep things simple and have fun. If you inadvertently misrepresented your playing level then you will just have to pay the piper so to speak and learn from the experience.

MM

Thanks guys. I'm actually excited about it now. I've never misrepresented my skill level to him. I told him if nothing else I can keep time for them all night.

I have been playing (seriously) for about three months.........I told him without hesitation I would do it. ..... Now I'm afraid I'm going to screw it up....... Not really my style ...... I just doubt I'm actually ready. .....Just wondering what some of you guys think.

Let's see: You volunteered to "help" a guy with a band, who plays a style of music you don't, after telling him you can do it, and you doubt you're ready - after three months.

I think you've set yourself up for a memorable experience. Have fun and remember to breathe. At this point that's all you can do. Hopefully you can count the songs in and play them at a speed that the other's can follow. You've given me strength. I've been driving for 40 years so I'm calling NASCAR tomorrow and volunteering to drive at Indianapolis next weekend. I'm pretty sure I can do it. :)

I've been driving for 40 years so I'm calling NASCAR tomorrow and volunteering to drive at Indianapolis next weekend. I'm pretty sure I can do it. :)

I reckon you'll be able to handle the go-karts at an office xmas party though. Which seems to be more of a parallel with this gig than debuting at Daytona. By all accounts, it sounds about as low key and as casual as gigs get. It certainly doesn't sound like he'll be required to play note for note from charts in front of thirty thousand people at MSG.

It may be a sink or swim moment.......but it would seem the pool is pretty shallow. :)

Back