Drum recording extended!

No, because that's a hard disk recorder. Essentially it's a built-in studio with preamps, ADC, DAC, some effects and a mixer all built in. I use them at University for mobile recording and they can be useful, but they can also be a pain to use and sometimes difficult in comparison to DAW software on a computer. Hence why in recent years, laptops with an interface have become more and more common and hard disk recorders have diminished somewhat.

Cheers pal! Sorry about asking all these questions that may seem simple to you , but seem foreign to me :p
So you wouldn't use both the Boss BR1600 aswell as a firewire interface??

No, there just wouldn't be any point. The Boss is designed to be used on its own. Some HDD recorders (the one I use mostly, it's a Yamaha model) do have a USB connection, but it's only as an external HDD rather than an actual audio interface. It makes transferring files easy, but I can't hook up the recorder to software in real time for recording.

I suppose you could use the HDD recorder as a desk and then go into the interface, like many people actually do with analogue desks into an interface - but there isn't really much point because HDD recorders tend to be used in mobile situations so they present a fully 'in-the-box' solution rather than having to lug a laptop and interface around as well.

I like HDD recorders. I get distracted easily by DAW software and if I were to actually record anything in my room at Uni, I'd get the Music Society HDD recorder and use that to actually do a demo - then mixdown on Logic. I'm the Music Society Technician (there are two of us actually) so I have unlimited access to this gear.

Back