Discussion on wood species/Janka scale.

I feel my mahogany Les Paul has a chunkier low end compared to my Fenders. Mahogany and walnut drums have more low end than ash or maple to my ear. Everything affects everything. Different woods in drums for sure have different sonic characteristics, why not guitars? Not saying you can detect the differences when the band is in....but in a test environment, anyone can clearly hear the difference between an "equal in every other way" walnut and maple tom for instance. I'd go as far as to say that if you built 2 "equal in every other way" guitars, one ash and one mahogany...I'd be willing to bet 10 whole dollars that I could pick out the mahogany guitar. I think I'd be able to detect it unamplified."

The material of the fretboard changes the tone of a guitar and yet some guys here on DW keep telling everyone else that the material does not matter in ply drums. I myself have never heard a poplar kit sound awesome. In the Ludwig comparison video only one kit sounded really good to me. They all sound a little different, but yeah, Ludwig likes them some poplar. Now in the DW comparison vid (which has recieved zero responses, hmmm) again every kit sounds a little different. Nothing other than the shell changed in those demos. Spruce top or all mahogany? Rosewood sides and back? Rosewood fretboard? or ebony or maple? These things affect the sound of a guitar to a discerning guitarist and shell material in ply drums makes a difference to a discerning drummer. What is better or worse is you're opinion, but the difference is real. That Geo Way cherry kit is fantastic!

I do not care very much about what type of wood is in the shells of my drums. Today, I played a Mapex Venus 10" tom with a basswood shell, and it sounded great. The guys in our band commented about it. Peace and goodwill.

Let’s get something straight: the difference between a Strat and a Gibson is night and day. A Gibson may sound very similar to any guitar with humbucker pickups.

And a bass guitar sounds way different than a banjo. As players we hear differences. Non-players (audience) do not. I can say for sure that most players would have a difficult time discerning the minute differences in wood type, finished interiors, etc. When we do, the the difference is subtle at best to someone sitting "out there".
I have a 1929 Martin 000-16 left to me by my dad who bought it new. Great sounding guitar. I admit it does show and play better than a Sears guitar from the 1929 catalog.

Back