UK National Drum Fair - anybody going?

Magenta

Platinum Member
Tomorrow and Sunday in Birmingham at Cocks Moors Wood Leisure Centre. Pop along to the Amedia stand and say hello 😊

Umming and ahhing about it.

Went a couple years back and it put me off going again, everything was really overpriced (2nd hand). Went looking for an old K Custom ride and there wasn't really much there. I remember Drum Shack trying to say a Benny Greb sand ride was £400. My mate Mick Hayles usually has a stand there, I'll give him a call later to see if he's going, he mentioned there was lots of bargains last year.

Did see a lovely kit by Jalepeno, it had a 40s/50s vibe to it with a set of wood hoops and metal hoops to change the sound.

I'm pretty sure I saw you guys down there last time I was there 2013 I think?

I used to go to the one at Tally Ho by Edgbaston Cricket Ground before it moved, that place was tiny!

I keep meaning to collar my old drum teacher Mal Garratt when I'm there to thank him for all the lessons at uni but he's always busy.

I keep meaning to go to this, every year I've already got existing commitments.

Alas, this year this weekend I'll be again exploring the London Olympia this time for a Design Trade show for the other half.

Well, in her mind she had to get me back for the LDS didnt she?

Hope it's a good one! I'll hopefully finally make it next year and by then I've restored my vintage 1960's Premier and can maybe display it.

I keep meaning to go to this, every year I've already got existing commitments.

Alas, this year this weekend I'll be again exploring the London Olympia this time for a Design Trade show for the other half.

Well, in her mind she had to get me back for the LDS didnt she?

Hope it's a good one! I'll hopefully finally make it next year and by then I've restored my vintage 1960's Premier and can maybe display it.

Gah, shame! Next year!

Umming and ahhing about it.

I'm pretty sure I saw you guys down there last time I was there 2013 I think?

Amedia probably were there then, but this is my first time. Wonder if I'll pick up any bargains? I hope I'll have the chance to talk to a few knowledgeable people and learn a bit.

Doh! I'd have liked to have swung by but I'm heading to Madrid tomorrow.

Doh! I'd have liked to have swung by but I'm heading to Madrid tomorrow.

You're really not very good at this, are you? Tell me you can make the London Drum Show, ideally on the Saturday (21st)?

I'm going to try Madge, but I seriously doubt I'll make it. Just too busy building right now, especially as I've just committed to LDS. Give Alex a good slap from me.

I know you're eversoslightly busy! I will however give Alex your best regards. Considerably safer for me ;)

You're really not very good at this, are you? Tell me you can make the London Drum Show, ideally on the Saturday (21st)?

I know you're eversoslightly busy! I will however give Alex your best regards. Considerably safer for me ;)
Are you staying over at LDS Madge? We've snagged a 2 bed apartment directly behind Olympia this year (epic find!). Comes complete with installed Henri & Duncan too apparently :)

Yes, busy building 4 zebrano kits currently, & a special Origin, & Larry's special walnut kit, some zebrano snares, & a new ultralight In-Tense snare range. Think I've got enough going on?

Are you staying over at LDS Madge? We've snagged a 2 bed apartment directly behind Olympia this year (epic find!). Comes complete with installed Henri & Duncan too apparently :)

Yes, busy building 4 zebrano kits currently, & a special Origin, & Larry's special walnut kit, some zebrano snares, & a new ultralight In-Tense snare range. Think I've got enough going on?

Wowowoeee!

We're staying with our daughters again, fortunately in a somewhat less rodent-infested place. Do you have room for Liam, by any chance?

4 zebrano kits, eh. BEEAUTIFUL. Juniper was asking me about Marlene earlier today. I said she was far too classy to be described as a beast, but that "Tigress" summed her up quite nicely, and entirely appropriately.

I am quite a lot in lurve with Larry's special walnut.

Installed is a good term to use. Once installed near a bed, I'm very hard to move. I will have to limit the snoring though.

Madge, once again I welcome your presence into my vicinity (oo-er missus!). If I'd known about the Birmingham show earlier I might've been able to make it but I was called up North this week and I've this second arrived back in Kent. The saga of the Ford Fiesta 1.4 with 108,000 miles on the clock and its original clutch continues.

Tigress? ... pfff, chicken more likely :)

I'm just a pussycat really.

Just been doing the old "I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours" with a gentleman who has three gorgeous Slingerlands. Showed him Marlene and he went into raptures, telling me about the Gurus he'd seen exhibited here a couple of years ago :) I said I'd pass his regards on to Andy. He said that if he ever won the lottery, he'd buy a Guru. He kept saying how he couldn't believe how light they were - they clearly made an impression!

Yeah! I'll be hoovering all around the flat for the weekend :)
I see what you did there ;)

Just been doing the old "I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours" with a gentleman who has three gorgeous Slingerlands. Showed him Marlene and he went into raptures, telling me about the Gurus he'd seen exhibited here a couple of years ago :) I said I'd pass his regards on to Andy. He said that if he ever won the lottery, he'd buy a Guru. He kept saying how he couldn't believe how light they were - they clearly made an impression!
That's nice to hear Madge :)

We tried exhibiting at this show 2 years ago. TBH, it's the wrong show for us. It's more of a table top trading hall for used drums & parts. Most visitors are trawling for bargain bits, & that's fine, but we stand out for all the wrong reasons in that environment. Cymbals are different in that respect. Often an impulse purchase, whereas our stuff really isn't that.

hope it's all going well for Alex, he deserves every bit of success that comes his way. I hear Liam is now a convert too :)

Enjoyed it this year, grabbed some bargains. Those 15" amedia hats nearly came home with me, if I'd have gone back to the stand my better half would be going mad at me ��.

Nice to meet you guys may well be in touch about those hats!

We tried exhibiting at this show 2 years ago. TBH, it's the wrong show for us. It's more of a table top trading hall for used drums & parts. Most visitors are trawling for bargain bits.

Well, it is a bit of a rum 'un. From what I've been told, and this fits with what I saw, it's morphing from a "drumble sale" towards newer stuff, and from what I gleaned from punters, half of them are not in favour and half of them are.

"Neither fish nor fowl" sprang to mind. It's a drum show, yet real actual drumming was definitely discouraged, yesterday at least. How drum and cymbal retailers are supposed to sell to customers who have had the opportunity to make a reasonably informed decision, I cannot imagine.

Additionally, there was only the one space, which meant that the stage performers encroached on the exhibitors: you can't listen to a drum, or a cymbal, or a stick on a practice pad, while something loud is going on.

All that said, however, the atmosphere was wonderfully warm and laid-back. I met lots of people, exhibitors and punters, and every single one of them was great. Amedia did well and we made a number of new friends. (My favourite was the Slingerland gentleman from yesterday. His wife was poorly and he hadn't wanted to leave her but she had said she'd be ok and to go off and enjoy himself. He bought some new heads, hoops and a bizarre percussion thing that sounded like dustbin lids. I said they would DEFINITELY make her feel better!)

Enjoyed it this year, grabbed some bargains. Those 15" amedia hats nearly came home with me, if I'd have gone back to the stand my better half would be going mad at me ��.

Nice to meet you guys may well be in touch about those hats!

Great to meet you, I'm glad it was worth your while :) Amedia aren't going away anytime soon. When the time is right, contact Alex!

Back