Serious (cover) Band issues...

I refuse to play nothing!.

+1 this is the best attitude in a cover band IF you're playing for your audience.
You have to work as a team and nobody can rule/veto, except maybe the singer who has to have the desire and chops to sing it.

I've had the crowd request Mustang Sally sooooo often, it would be foolish not to do it, IMO. Freebird, on the other hand - the reason I wouldn't do Freebird is because it's long, it's not a particularly good dance song, and it's really difficult to do well, so it ends up sucking. Otherwise, I would play it, too, if requested.

I think if you are in a cover band and your goal is to play regularly, you should be willing to play almost any song that the crowd wants, that you are able to pull off.

For heaven's sake, I was at a gig Monday night and we played "Mr. Sandman" totally out of the blue. The crowd loved it! Who would have thought?

For heaven's sake, I was at a gig Monday night and we played "Mr. Sandman" totally out of the blue. The crowd loved it! Who would have thought?

I initially mis-read the song title as "Enter Sandman" which is a bit different, but raises the possibility of an implausible 'Sandman' medley.

In other news: Entertainers do a better job of entertaining crowds when they play music the crowd finds entertaining.

I initially mis-read the song title as "Enter Sandman" which is a bit different, but raises the possibility of an implausible 'Sandman' medley.

In other news: Entertainers do a better job of entertaining crowds when they play music the crowd finds entertaining.

Haha, entirely different "Sandman!" The thought of a crazy medley did cross my mind, though...

Back