Would you rather...

Buy a high-end drumset from the larger drum companies (Tama, Pearl, Ludwig, Yamaha, Sonor, etc)

or

buy a set from a smaller custom drum company (Orange County, Maryland, Spaun, Pork Pie, etc)

I'm in search of getting a new kit and I've really have liked what the smaller custom companies have to offer with stuff built to your own specs.

Most custom kits run you $2,000 and above but the top of the line major companies are right their too.

So when it comes time to lay down the change what would be your preference?

EDIT: I should clarify. I am going with a custom kit but I wanted to know what some people generally gravitate towards when they go for a higher end kit.

Last edited:
im sorry but this is kind of a stupid question not to be mean but you shouldnt buy a brand name you should buy the set that sounds the best thats what i would recomend just go out and try out a few kits from the respective compaies and pick your fave.i did and now i cant wait for my new kit to get here

whatever sounds good to you.

I think you answered the question for yourself in the original post...

As for me, I've never looked at getting a custom kit built to my specs. I've looked into building my own, but it's too expensive for me, so I chose to find what I was looking for used. I've got a couple of great kits that didn't break the bank, and I'm more than happy with them.

What specifically are you looking for that you wouldn't be able to find in a standard "cookie cutter" kit of today, Mr. Slingerland? If you see what you're looking for (or something close enough to make you happy) already out there, then go with that.

I come from the school of thought that I like to try out what I'm going to buy before I buy it. I wouldn't be able to do that with a custom-made kit.

I think you answered the question for yourself in the original post...

As for me, I've never looked at getting a custom kit built to my specs. I've looked into building my own, but it's too expensive for me, so I chose to find what I was looking for used. I've got a couple of great kits that didn't break the bank, and I'm more than happy with them.

What specifically are you looking for that you wouldn't be able to find in a standard "cookie cutter" kit of today, Mr. Slingerland? If you see what you're looking for (or something close enough to make you happy) already out there, then go with that.

I come from the school of thought that I like to try out what I'm going to buy before I buy it. I wouldn't be able to do that with a custom-made kit.

I should have clarified earlier. I'm planning on going with a custom kit from a local drum builder. I've played on his stuff before and I love the sound.

I've come to the conclusion that I like the idea of having a one of a kind set. I'm a designer by occupation and I want a set that visually looks as good as it sounds.

I would rather have it all...I want to make my own kit, I want a kit from unix, and I want a top of the line kit....so yes, I'll have that!

Back