how do you tell what type of wood?

lovemysonors

i've got 2 older kits and am guessing which type of woods they are, but really do not know 100%.

one kit i have believed to be beechwood, but someone told me beech has tiny dots of holes in it. mine does not, so now i have no idea which wood it could be!

by sight, how can you tell the difference between beech, oak, maple, birch, bass, etc?

ok, here are the photos of what i think might be beechwood

Attachments

• IMG_2154.JPG
    IMG_2154.JPG
    255.4 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_2155.JPG
    IMG_2155.JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 555
Post #3 had me thinking luan, but the color is a little too yellow. Those little "gashes" are characteristic of luan, but the color isn't right. It looks lacquered as well, and luan typically isn't lacquered, but it might just be something about the image. Honestly, I don't know.

Post #5 is definitely maple. Those Premier kits from the 70's to the early 80's are nice.

Post #3 had me thinking luan, but the color is a little too yellow. Those little "gashes" are characteristic of luan, but the color isn't right. It looks lacquered as well, and luan typically isn't lacquered, but it might just be something about the image. Honestly, I don't know.

Post #5 is definitely maple. Those Premier kits from the 70's to the early 80's are nice.
thanks for the insight...how can someone tell maple wood? color? the way the swirls (whatever you call it) are patterned?

and here's my Premier kit, i believe from the 70s
Nice! made in England too! Kieth Moon would definitely use that!

As for the wood issue, I wish I knew the differences myself. I can really only tell if something is maple.

They can all be described, but a picture is worth a thousand words...

http://www.unixdrums.com/products.htm

Although, I haven't actually seen any bubinga that red.
that's a great site...it definitely looks like maple for my Premier and beech for my Sonors...thanx

as for model, i really have no idea for either one of them but i'm guessing mid-late 60s for my Sonor and late 70s for my Premier...anyone else?? guestimated value??

Back