JoJo Mayer's Bass Drum Pad from Secret Weapons Part 2?

Mr. Compactness

I just got Secret Weapon's for the Modern Drummer Part 2 - Bass Drum Technique. In it, JoJo uses a bass drum pad that is essentially a head and a metal rim on a vertical support. It looks like it's an electronic pad but that just might be the mic cord.

Does anyone know what this might be? It could just be something that they came up with for the video. It would be nice if it was something that came available in the future.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 2,447
This is exactly the answer I got from Sabian;

Hi there!

This is a customized Quiet Tone pad. I'm afraid that we don't sell these with the extra mounting for the kick pad. This would be something that Jojo has put together himself.

Kevin

Customer Service
Sabian LTD
www.sabian.com

So is anyone up for trying to figure this thing out?

We know that its a Sabian Quiet Tone 14" mesh head.

But it looks like it is mounted to some sort of black ring? There doesn't appear to be anything that resembles the platform that everything is mounted on...I've looked at other practice pads and electronic pads with no success

That "black ring" could be a piece of wood painted black or a piece of steel, something to mount the pad too. The base looks like a piece of steel tapped and threaded to run adjustable feet through. All of it I'm sure was custom made for him.

That all make sense I'm just having trouble figuring out how he is keeping the pad upright. I can't really tell how it's attached

That all make sense I'm just having trouble figuring out how he is keeping the pad upright. I can't really tell how it's attached

My first thought would be a bracket in the back you can't see, like an L bracket that attaches to the metal base and to the wood or whatever it is behind the pad. Would have to be a pretty stout bracket to support and hold up to the pounding. Or possibly another piece of that base metal maybe welded or screwed into the plate. If you look closely it looks like there are screws just under/behind that mounting board so it has me thinking that something is attached there

Back