Mike Portney/Dream Theater songs?

I like older DT the best. . .my favorite tune of theirs is the instrumental "Erotomania" from the album Awake Some good double bass drum work on that one.

Re: Mike Portney/Dream Theater

Makes no sense. It's not only subjective, but DT is obviously not your music. He sings and looks like he fits in. He doesn't need to sound or look like like a death metaller. DT are consummate musicians with prodigious talent. They carefully chose members that fit thier image, philosophy, sound and abilities.

As was suggested, to replace him with one of the latest growl-and-puke types would serve no good purpose.

They know what they are doing, and maybe that's why they have been around over 20 years and continue to grow in success and popularity.

1.)I hate death metal
2.)i don't like growl-puke types
3.) i like the music, not the vocals

3.) i like the music, not the vocals

I have read the same reason the people don't like Rush. They can't get past Geddy Lee's vocals. Fair enough.

Ok, if you were a talent agent, assigned to replace the current vocalist of DT, who would you pick, and why?

...and I promise that my question is not a set-up for an argument. People have told me that the lead singer of queensryche could/should replace Geddy Lee because of his vocal range. I can accept that.

Last edited:

I have read the same reason the people don't like Rush. They can't get past Geddy Lee's vocals. Fair enough.

I agree, I ve heard the same, and its like arguing with a brook-pebble...

Ok, if you were a talent agent, assigned to replace the current vocalist of DT, who would you pick, and why?

This would be an interesting thread, man. I d recommend Steven Wison, Maynard, Sammy Hagar minus the guy that supplies the voice....

Otherwise, You have to check out Office of Strategic Influence( O.S.I.) and Liquid Tension Experiment. Like Dream Theater without the stigma of Dream Theater....wait, did that make any sense? Check em out eitherway!

Otherwise, You have to check out Office of Strategic Influence( O.S.I.) and Liquid Tension Experiment. Like Dream Theater without the stigma of Dream Theater....wait, did that make any sense? Check em out eitherway!

I love Mike's side projects. I have them in mp3 format with me. Neil Morse as well.

...and I promise that my question is not a set-up for an argument. People have told me that the lead singer of queensryche could/should replace Geddy Lee because of his vocal range. I can accept that.

I honestly can't say.
Maybe someone who has a bit of a deeper voice.

It's weird, because I think that Portney and Petrucci have better voices than he does.
Well, at least in As I Am.

I honestly can't say.
Maybe someone who has a bit of a deeper voice.

It's weird, because I think that Portney and Petrucci have better voices than he does.
Well, at least in As I Am.

I can say this: Mike has stated he wanted to do music without keyboards for a while. I know he really digs "Train of thought" for it's hard hitting and dark sound. I am reading into that also that he might prefer vocals the same way.

I don't know if it was Rush, YES or ELP who started it, but it seems one of the staples of progressive rock is to have a high-pitched vocalist.

I always wondered what "tom sawyer" would sound like if Marylin Manson had sung it.

I can say this: Mike has stated he wanted to do music without keyboards for a while. I know he really digs "Train of thought" for it's hard hitting and dark sound. I am reading into that also that he might prefer vocals the same way.

I don't know if it was Rush, YES or ELP who started it, but it seems one of the staples of progressive rock is to have a high-pitched vocalist.

I always wondered what "tom sawyer" would sound like if Marylin Manson had sung it.

I recently discovered that the singers voice is terrible live, but not that bad recorded.
I like dream theater now!

I recently discovered that the singers voice is terrible live, but not that bad recorded.
I like dream theater now!

Some bands have it rought duplicating the studio sound live. I love "live at Budokan" and "Score."

FWIW: I read that people did not like the sound of Mike's mirage monster kit live. For his next project, I am hoping Tama makes him a bubinga monster.

Some bands have it rought duplicating the studio sound live. I love "live at Budokan" and "Score."

FWIW: I read that people did not like the sound of Mike's mirage monster kit live. For his next project, I am hoping Tama makes him a bubinga monster.

I agree. Portney would rock a tama.
Portney is already one of my favorite drummers.
I watched a ton of his drum solo's on youtube.

Back