Whats a good intermediate set?

Jsk36

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ddrum-Duo-Fade-Maple-6-Piece-Drum-Shell-Pack-491045-i1385634.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsch...ack-with-Free-16-Floor-Tom-483246-i1399500.gc

I would love a set with two floor toms, so you kind of know what I'm looking for. And is maple.

Do you think those are some good choices for a future drum set for me? ( if I ever get the money )

I play a lot of rock, and a little bit of everything from thrash metal to funk.

So tell me what you think of those sets, or you guys can turn me on to anything you might think will be good!

I would strongly recommend looking for used sets. You can likely get a better quality kit in really good condition for the same, or less $$ than it would cost you to buy one of those new kits (and usually with some hardware or cymbals or something included). Check Craigslist, eBay, etc. and see what you can find.

BTW, I've heard the Mapex Pro M is a great intermediate maple kit and there should be a few of those around due to their popularity.

Hope that helps,

Mike

I've tried looking around for used, but haven't found anything that suites me yet.

hopefully soon i will find a good set!

Do you think those are some good choices for a future drum set for me? ( if I ever get the money )

First things first. Get your money together. While you are doing that, look on eBay at Gretsch, Tama, Pearl, Mapex, Ddrum, Yamaha, Ludwig, etc. (the usual suspects) and see what's out there and how much it costs. You can score either of those kits you listed (or similar) "used" for quite a bit less, or get a much better quality "used" kit for the same money.

I have that Gretsch set you are looking at, Catalina maple in cherry red. Only mine, I got a 8" tom as well, so it is a 7-drum kit.

I can recommend it, but as others have said: If money is an issue (as it always is) get a used kit.

I too own the Gretsch Cat maple, and for the money it really delivers. I spent less then 5 minutes tuning it out of the box and it sang quite nicely and I used it to record my last cd with and the sound engineer fell in love with it. Mine is a 7 piece too, I added a second bass drum.

But is true you can find them used cheaper, or a better set for the same money on ebay, etc. But you wouldn't be disapointed with these either.

Buy used. I don't care if you can afford a brand new kit...for the same price, you can get a better used one, or get one of the same quality, plus cymbals. Look at eBay and Craigs List. Also, when you go into Craig's List, check out some of the bigger cities that are close to you...I have found a ton more great deals looking in Baltimore (an hour away) and Philly (two hours away) than I ever find in Harrisburg (where I live).

As Mikey Dangerous suggested, the Mapex Pro M is a great place to start. All Maple, good sets (I use one on a lot of my session work), and you can usually find a set for around $600 (which would be over a grand new).

One other thing to think about...if you really want the two floor toms, you don't have to buy it that way right away. If you find a good deal on a used kit with one floor tom, you can always keep searching eBay for a matching floor tom. It may take months, but usually is worth it, and you'll still have a great kit to use until you get that extra drum.

If you find a good deal on a used kit with one floor tom, you can always keep searching eBay for a matching floor tom. It may take months, but usually is worth it, and you'll still have a great kit to use until you get that extra drum.

I spent 5 months searching for the matching second kick and wound up with a really nice one from e-bay for $100.

Back