Wood Hoops

Mendozart

Platinum Member
I recently picked up some wood hoops for my 5.5"x14" Spaun snare and I love them. But, The overall diameter of the drum is now 15 3/4" and it won't fit in my snare stand basket. Does anyone know specific models that will fit this size? The only one I found on the internet that specifically says it will fit up to 16" is the Pearl S-2000 model, but it's kind of pricey. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• spaun wood hoops 4.JPG
    spaun wood hoops 4.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 688
I feel your pain. I'm running a 15x12 rack tom and all 3 of my snare stands refuse to open that wide.

Yeah, second the Pearl idea. I use a 14 in. Snare with wood hoops, and my Pearl snare stand does the trick nicely.

i'm pretty sure yamaha makes one. i'm actually looking to put some wood hoops on my snare. does it change the sound alot? i've heard steve jordans snare on the john mayer trio live cd and i have that snare and it sounds amazing with some really nice woody overtones, do you get something like that?

i'm pretty sure yamaha makes one. i'm actually looking to put some wood hoops on my snare. does it change the sound alot? i've heard steve jordans snare on the john mayer trio live cd and i have that snare and it sounds amazing with some really nice woody overtones, do you get something like that?

It definitely changes the sound a lot, but I like it. It dries it up a little, and does give it a more "woody" sound like many say. Cross-stick sounds great on it. It depends on the sound you're looking for.

It seemed to give it a little more resonance. I like the feel of it, but I still haven't put it to a good test yet. I slapped a Remo CS w/white dot underneath and some Puresound custom 24's and it really sounds good.

Hey i was just wondering where exactly you got the hoops from.

I've been looking to get 14" (10 lugs) wood hoops for my gretsch snare, but the only ones available are yamaha replacements for the Akira Jimbo Sig model and the hoops cost nearly as much as most decent snares. I've also tried drumfoundry and sites like it, but no joy.

Does anyone know where i can get ones that dont cost a fortune?

anything would be helpful

cheers

Just wait... My birdseye maple stave drum shell will be ready and shipped on Friday... She's gonna definitely get wood hoops. =)

Back