Calling All Bad Back Drummers: Ergokinetic Thrones

Les Ismore,
so did you get the top piece only? Or the entire throne? I'm not settled on what to order. Never had a Rock'n'Soc or compatible stand. So in case I'd get the CARMICHAEL top piece only I'd have to buy a compatible stand anyway.

Les Ismore,
so did you get the top piece only? Or the entire throne? I'm not settled on what to order. Never had a Rock'n'Soc or compatible stand. So in case I'd get the CARMICHAEL top piece only I'd have to buy a compatible stand anyway.

I purchased just to top. If your current base is 7/8" it'll fit. They use ROC N SOC bottom plates and bases, which are 7/8" You could adapt your bottom bracket to the CARMICHAEL, but you'd need to install inserts (the plywood is 1/2") and the hole pattern they drilled is for the ROC n SOC stuff.

If you're serious contact CARMICHAEL, they'll answer ALL your questions, excellent customer service... talk to Dan himself, join the family.

I did a gig yesterday and Im still blown away. I feel great, actually got home and did yoga/weight training. At the gig its a new approach, dealing with reserve power. I believe its actually helping my L5 injury heal, I know it is. So what's that worth to me? Can't say enough good about it.

They're on ebay.

While I have the scale plugged in- The CARMICHAEL top weighs in at 5.06 lbs, thats w/o a bracket on the bottom, with my bracket it weighs 8.05 lbs and the top fits perfectly in a 14x5.5 drum bag.

Last edited:
I purchased just to top. If your current base is 7/8" it'll fit. They use ROC N SOC bottom plates and bases, which are 7/8" You could adapt your bottom bracket to the CARMICHAEL, but you'd need to install inserts (the plywood is 1/2") and the hole pattern they drilled is for the ROC n SOC stuff.

If you're serious contact CARMICHAEL, they'll answer ALL your questions, excellent customer service... talk to Dan himself, join the family.

I did a gig yesterday and Im still blown away. I feel great, actually got home and did yoga/weight training. At the gig its a new approach, dealing with reserve power. I believe its actually helping my L5 injury heal, I know it is. So what's that worth to me? Can't say enough good about it.

They're on ebay.

While I have the scale plugged in- The CARMICHAEL top weighs in at 5.06 lbs, thats w/o a bracket on the bottom, with my bracket it weighs 8.05 lbs and the top fits perfectly in a 14x5.5 drum bag.

I was just complaining to myself that my throne top was all compressed on one side after only about a year. Annoying as all as you expend energy keeping balanced during double bass parts.

I definitely agree with you on the importance of a good stable throne. You have just convinced me to make my next top a Carmichael. It looks like some real thought went into it.

You have just convinced me to make my next top a Carmichael. It looks like some real thought went into it.

Dan Carmichael is a drummer who went through a back injury, contact him about the history of the design.

This thing is just starting to take off, its not a gimmick/fad. Im 100% satisfied. The CARMICHAEL is 'improving' my health. What other piece of drum gear can you say that about? It ends up paying for itself in medical (chiro/massage bills).

And when you'd rather sit on it than any other chair/seat at the venue during a break, that's saying a lot.

Because of Les' comments & high opinion of the Charmichael seat, I bid, and won a seat top on eBay.

I did a "test" with a couple pieces of thick material at work on a seat, just to see what it would be like and it was pretty "freeing" feeling--even with the ganky way I set it up.

I should get it by Thursday in FedEx, and will try it out on my gig Friday night (opening for Vince Neil).

I'm being swayed too. I don't even have any back issues, but if there is a way to feel better and more in control when I gig, that's a great thing. Definitely a case where money can improve the quality of your experience, if it really is all that.

As far as carrying the seat tops of thrones around...I agree they are klunky to move around. What I do is tie a loop of some thin but strong braided cord to it. I backed some screws and washers out and tied the cord around the screws and tightened it back down. That allows you to carry your throne top with just one finger. Plus it's free, basically. Just make the loop so it doesn't extend past the seat edge or less, you don't need too much. It makes life so much easier. Like Gatzen says, it's the little things that make a big difference. Or something like that.

I recently got the Ahead Spinal G Throne, though I haven't really had a chance to try it out yet. I went with the Ahead over the Carmichael mainly because I didn't want a round throne.

throne0812ww.jpg

As far as carrying the seat tops of thrones around...I agree they are klunky to move around. What I do is tie a loop of some thin but strong braided cord to it. I backed some screws and washers out and tied the cord around the screws and tightened it back down. That allows you to carry your throne top with just one finger. Plus it's free, basically. Just make the loop so it doesn't extend past the seat edge or less, you don't need too much. It makes life so much easier. Like Gatzen says, it's the little things that make a big difference. Or something like that.

Larry, you're a genius. I was lugging my kit the other day, and didn't bring my Tama 1st chair for the exact reason of it being too awkward to carry around. I was lamenting not having got a bag for it, and was trying to stuff it into my hardware bag without any luck. I'm gonna go strap a piece of cord to it tomorrow! I love little "hacks" like that. I recently bought a couple of Neodymium Magnets (rare earth magnets) and use them for holding set lists attached to cymbal stands, and a small LED light pointed down at my pedals when the lights are off..... A little off topic, I know, but just felt like sharing.

Larry, you're a genius.

Yes. Yes I am lol. I'm glad you like my suggestion KIG. I always Larry-ize things that I'm not happy with. I tie cords to my snare drums too, using the lugs and/or tension rods. It makes it very convenient to grab it. I like your suggestions about the magnets. And the light. Not sure how you use a magnet on a round cymbal stand though. Another thing I do is to tie a car litter bag onto my floor tom. I put my glasses, keys, wallet and phone in there when I play because I don't like stuff in my pockets when I drum. Placing them on the floor puts them in harms way. It works great. No one sees it anyway.

Yes. Yes I am lol. I'm glad you like my suggestion KIG. I always Larry-ize things that I'm not happy with. I tie cords to my snare drums too, using the lugs and/or tension rods. It makes it very convenient to grab it. I like your suggestions about the magnets. And the light. Not sure how you use a magnet on a round cymbal stand though. Another thing I do is to tie a car litter bag onto my floor tom. I put my glasses, keys, wallet and phone in there when I play because I don't like stuff in my pockets when I drum. Placing them on the floor puts them in harms way. It works great. No one sees it anyway.

I usually just dump my keys, wallet, and phone into a pocket of my cymbal bag, but I might try that little bag on the floor tom tip sometime...

As for the magnet trick, That's why I use the rare earth magnets. Those little guys are so strong, they will stick to anything that's got iron in it like super glue. I bought a couple of small cubes about 2cmx2cmx2cm and they stick to the round stands perfectly. I glued one to the back of an LED light that's got a "snake" style neck on it, and the magnet can pretty much go anywhere. Usually on a floor tom leg, but also bass drum lugs, snare stand, cymbal stand legs, etc. I've never had one fall off. I'm telling ya, that Neodymium is some amazing stuff!

I recently got the Ahead Spinal G Throne, though I haven't really had a chance to try it out yet. I went with the Ahead over the Carmichael mainly because I didn't want a round throne.

Let us know what happens with the AHEAD. It has springs in it, for what reason I don't know. Designed by a chiropractor, not a drummer. There's been a lot of people returning the AHEAD and getting a CARMICHAEL according to Dan (Carmichael).

Another thing I do is to tie a car litter bag onto my floor tom. I put my glasses, keys, wallet and phone in there when I play because I don't like stuff in my pockets when I drum. Placing them on the floor puts them in harms way.

The channel in the CARMICHAEL makes a cool storage space, it can be partitioned of pretty easy, phone (set to vibrate), keys, the small stuff etc.

The CARMICHAEL is still impressing me, coming off gig's/playing feeling better each time, which is really hard to believe, but its happening.

Because of Les' comments & high opinion of the Charmichael seat, I bid, and won a seat top on eBay.

I did a "test" with a couple pieces of thick material at work on a seat, just to see what it would be like and it was pretty "freeing" feeling--even with the ganky way I set it up.

I should get it by Thursday in FedEx, and will try it out on my gig Friday night (opening for Vince Neil).

Thats funny because I think I was bidding against you. I bailed on the auction because I found that I could use my old Girbaltar mount and buy the Seat top only from Carmichael.

Let us know how you like it.

That's funny. I figured if it was lower than a new one with shipping I'd stay in.
I got it today, and had my seat for a rehearsal tonight, so it worked out kinda cool.
It was actually scheduled to arrive tomorrow!

The seller has other stuff for sale, so if you are interested in any of it, he packed the seat top really well, and got it out quickly. It's in perfect "new" condition too.

Impression:

WOW
Sitting on it is very "freeing" feeling. Immediate difference in feel from my other seats that felt comfortable. Just trying it out away from the kit, moving my arms around "air drumming" was a lot different feeling.
The foam is very sturdy and there's no sink in feeling at all. Just great feeling support.
I am VERY impressed.

If anyone is thinking about one of these, it's worth the $165 bucks easy.

It's crazy how much difference I felt in such a short time.

My office chair feels like crap now :-(

Karl, I use a tractor style seat. Before the Carmichael, did you use a tractor or a round seat top? I prefer the tractor and since I really have no issues with my back, would the round seat feel be a drawback?

I used a Roc-N-Soc for years, then a Tama Ergo Rider for a couple years, then the Pearl round Roadster for the last two.
The Tama was pretty comfortable, the Pearl has been decent too.
After using a round a few years ago on a backline gig, it felt better than the tractor style, so I went back to it.
I bought a Gibraltar soft seat last year as well, and that thing has been sitting. I'm selling it now. I've never tried the split Gibraltar tractor style seat.

Like the tractor style, where it puts you in a good spot on the seat automatically, similar to the front of a round, the Charmicael does the same thing. There is no leg movement restriction AT ALL on this seat.

I can't say I have any back "issues" either, no pain, but something hasn't seemed "right" on anything for a while.

One height will be OK for a bit, then I'd have to change it because there's "something"..so I guess there is SOME KIND of issue :)

This Charmichael seat top is something else. The size of it is bigger than usual seats, and it's perfect. I'm siting on it, and it feels like I'm sitting straighter naturally without thinking about it.

THANK YOU LES for posting about this seat.

As Les has stated, it's pretty crazy the change in feel. I'm sitting on it at work, and now I want the dang thing for my desk at work. I don't have the bucks for that right now, so I may have to put something together that's similar for my computer chair.

If you have back pain, or something is not right sitting on anything you are trying out, then this seat is probably going to correct it. The size of the it is great, and the foam is very supportive. No sag in, but not hard feeling.

IMO, it's easily worth the money the top costs. I'm stoked that I got this seat.

Ye$, I $aw tho$e... :)

If I could afford one at the moment, I'd get one.

Just looking at that Ahead seat in the pic, I'll say the Charmicael is better than that one.
Although I haven't sat on it, it just looks like there's not enough gap, and the foam can't be as supportive with that small a split without being too hard.
If it was too hard of foam, it wouldn't allow you to be supported in the right spots (butt cheeks), and have your spine area free in the middle. The gap has to be wider.
It's probably better than nothing, but I wouldn't bother with that one after sitting on the Charmicael for the first 30 seconds. REALLY.

yeah, about 4 times what my boss would accept for a chair for me!!!

I used a Roc-N-Soc for years, then a Tama Ergo Rider for a couple years, then the Pearl round Roadster for the last two.
The Tama was pretty comfortable, the Pearl has been decent too.
After using a round a few years ago on a backline gig, it felt better than the tractor style, so I went back to it.
I bought a Gibraltar soft seat last year as well, and that thing has been sitting. I'm selling it now. I've never tried the split Gibraltar tractor style seat.

Like the tractor style, where it puts you in a good spot on the seat automatically, similar to the front of a round, the Charmicael does the same thing. There is no leg movement restriction AT ALL on this seat.

I can't say I have any back "issues" either, no pain, but something hasn't seemed "right" on anything for a while.

One height will be OK for a bit, then I'd have to change it because there's "something"..so I guess there is SOME KIND of issue :)

This Charmichael seat top is something else. The size of it is bigger than usual seats, and it's perfect. I'm siting on it, and it feels like I'm sitting straighter naturally without thinking about it.

THANK YOU LES for posting about this seat.

As Les has stated, it's pretty crazy the change in feel. I'm sitting on it at work, and now I want the dang thing for my desk at work. I don't have the bucks for that right now, so I may have to put something together that's similar for my computer chair.

If you have back pain, or something is not right sitting on anything you are trying out, then this seat is probably going to correct it. The size of the it is great, and the foam is very supportive. No sag in, but not hard feeling.

IMO, it's easily worth the money the top costs. I'm stoked that I got this seat.

Yeah, you don't need to have back issues to benefit from a CARMICHAEL throne, tho all drummers do have back issues, there's no way way around it. Its a matter of the mind minimizing the issues b/c there's no remedy till now. Its a losing battle if your disks just keep getting compressed.

Traditional seating causes the spinal disks to compress, there's no way around it. If you sit at a desk for a living, a CARMICHAEL is a must/no brainer. At least KarlCrafton can take his drum stool in to work.

This throne is still in its infancy, there's no way if you sat/gigged on one you wouldn't want it.

Every time I leave the kit Im blown away w/the CARMICHAEL, blown away and happy... and I look fwd to playing/sitting on it again. My back isn't saying "No" anymore.

The CARMICHAEL 'is' that good, haven't been able to crow about any piece of gear like that b/f. This isn't a subjective issue, its a direct impact on your health.

The AHEAD SPINAL G hasn't gotten good reviews, its cheaper, tho the design incorporates springs, for what reason I don't know, and the gap is too small. Im curious to hear about BertTheDrummer's experience w/it. Again the designer is a chiropractor, not a drummer. He licensed the design to AHEAD.

The AHEAD SPINAL G hasn't gotten good reviews, its cheaper, tho the design incorporates springs, for what reason I don't know, and the gap is too small. Im curious to hear about BertTheDrummer's experience w/it. Again the designer is a chiropractor, not a drummer. He licensed the design to AHEAD.

I'm also looking forward to learning more about the AHEAD.

I was 2 days away from picking up the ROC N SOC throne. I stumbled across this thread (thank goodness). I'm a fan of the motorcycle seat, as opposed to the round thrones (had them for 30+ years).

I have back issues (injury related), but not as bad as some here are describing.

Back