Calling All Bad Back Drummers: Ergokinetic Thrones

MutinyWithin

Hi Guys,

I've had a weak L4-L5 lower back/lumbar since high school (14 years ago) and I am a metal drummer. I find that often times I am crippled after about 45-60 minutes of playing.

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with ergonomic/ergokinetic thrones, and if so, which are the best?

Right now I am using a Gibralter motorcycle-style with backrest. The cushion is quite hard, and playing metal means I can't really take advantage of the back rest. My lower thighs hurt towards the end, as well as my lower back.

Any suggestions?

I use a Gibraltar backrest, and it really helps my 56 year old back. Peace and goodwill.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with the ergo chair you at talking about but years ago when I was in three bands and playing constantly I bought a roc n soc nitro throne. It instantly helped my back and I have used it ever since. The air shock keeps a level height but has a little give to it and the seat is huge but soft and padded. Sounds like you have a serious back issue though, I don't know if a chair alone will do it.

Also, I went through this save a back training a while ago that talked about the importance of keeping a curve in your lower back. it made a tremendous difference in how I sit especially as I have started to tackle double bass drum.

I've got a Pork Pie tractor style seat. I think it's helped. I'm 53 and try to play metal. I was using a round top Tama Titan from the 80's. I think the tractor style makes you sit up straighter. Good luck.

I got the Tama Ergo-Rider Quartet with Backrest (HT741), and I love it!

Hi Guys,

I've had a weak L4-L5 lower back/lumbar since high school (14 years ago) and I am a metal drummer. I find that often times I am crippled after about 45-60 minutes of playing.

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with ergonomic/ergokinetic thrones, and if so, which are the best?

Right now I am using a Gibralter motorcycle-style with backrest. The cushion is quite hard, and playing metal means I can't really take advantage of the back rest. My lower thighs hurt towards the end, as well as my lower back.

Any suggestions?

I just went through a pinched nerve in L5 back in march, still not over it. In my search for bedding/pillows, chairs I found two products that truly make a difference, really did what they're advertised to do, on being a drum stool called the CARMICHAEL THRONE. Can't say enough good stuff about this stool, it has literally changed my life, no more compressed spine.

You will not be sorry you spent the money, its the only piece of gear I could not be without.

From the pic in the link, it doesn't look like it squishes down too much. That'd make it last.
$165 for just the top. Seems like a lot, but, if you have any pain in something you do, it quickly doesn't seem like that much, if it relieves/prevents it and you aren't suffering afterwards.

Hi all. About these ergonomic thrones with back support, does anyone know which ones are the most lightweight to lug around? Ta much.

I'll bet not the one I use.... Roc & Soc bike seat with the backrest. I can sit for hours on it but it's not light to tote....

Ouch, I need to read more carefully. Since you have a motorcycle throne with a backrest and that doesn't help, perhaps you should try a different style, i.e. plain circle, and add a backrest? Those motorcycle style seats tend to be quite big.

From the pic in the link, it doesn't look like it squishes down too much. That'd make it last.
$165 for just the top. Seems like a lot, but, if you have any pain in something you do, it quickly doesn't seem like that much, if it relieves/prevents it and you aren't suffering afterwards.

When you sit on a regular throne, the foam compresses from your weight until it bottoms out, however long it takes 10 min, 1,2,3 hrs etc. What it bottoms out on is your spine thus compressing your discs.

Being on a drum throne around 20 hrs a week I can tell you the CARMICHAEL is a god send and I would have welcomed it b/f I had my injury. The CARMICHAEL design forces one to sit on their ass cheeks, not on their spine like regular throne/seat designs do. The best piece of gear I have hands down.

$165 is not a lot of money for something that'll actually improve your health. The CARMICHAEL renders all other throne designs torture devises. We basically adapt, for lack of knowing something else is out there. The CARMICHAEL really is revolutionary, highly recommended.

I was not good to my body when I was younger, skateboarding motocross, and every time I get lazy and don't use my inversion table it starts hurting and cramping, which reminds me.... I suggest checking into one, ask your doctor if its OK first but seriously its a life saver for me I was going to look into a backrest but when I started inverting I didn't really need it. .
That throne has the same principle as a bike seat keeping the pressure off your spine, be thankful we live in a time with advanced ergonomics.

Thanks for mentioning the CARMICHAEL throne(s)!
I'm looking for a throne upgrade - I was dumb enough to buy a cheapo throne for starters but I didn't really save anything. Money yes, but anything else, definitely no. Cheapo thrones are so annoying, and that feeling of sitting not that comfortably would persist all the time. Lesson learned...

I've seen a CARMICHAEL throne on a pic that Todd Sucherman shared on facebook (depicting his full drumkit) and I noticed that specific design of the throne top. Wasn't aware of the manufacturer though - now I know. If this thing is good enough for Todd it will be good enough for me for sure!

I was not good to my body when I was younger, skateboarding motocross, and every time I get lazy and don't use my inversion table it starts hurting and cramping, which reminds me.... I suggest checking into one, ask your doctor if its OK first but seriously its a life saver for me I was going to look into a backrest but when I started inverting I didn't really need it.

That's funny, I have an inversion table, it was a must after a long play day and gig's when my pinched nerve was in crisis pain. After using the CARMICHAEL now for about 2 weeks I've only been on the inversion table twice and that was just out of habit. The CARMICHAEL throne works like an inversion table only better, it sets your muscles while your spine is floating (not being compressed).

Everything is easier when your spine isn't being compressed, the bass pedal is easier, more power, you can move your arms and not affect balance, its indescribable, or more accurately unbelievable.

I've seen a CARMICHAEL throne on a pic that Todd Sucherman shared on facebook (depicting his full drumkit) and I noticed that specific design of the throne top. If this thing is good enough for Todd it will be good enough for me for sure!

I honestly can't say enough good stuff about this throne. Big name pros are catching on, its just a matter of time. If you sit on one for a gig it'll change your life, that's a pretty big statement, tho that's the experience I got and as your body adapts to less spinal compression it only gets better.

Attachments

• Carmichael-4.JPG
    Carmichael-4.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 2,048
  • Carmichael-3.JPG
    Carmichael-3.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,886
Last edited:
Sorry, I don't have any experience with the ergo chair you at talking about but years ago when I was in three bands and playing constantly I bought a roc n soc nitro throne. It instantly helped my back and I have used it ever since. The air shock keeps a level height but has a little give to it and the seat is huge but soft and padded. Sounds like you have a serious back issue though, I don't know if a chair alone will do it.

+1.........The Roc-n-soc has been great for my back and I wish I'd have bought one sooner

Hi all. About these ergonomic thrones with back support, does anyone know which ones are the most lightweight to lug around? Ta much.

That is the only downside to my Roc-n-Soc throne.....it is pretty heavy and is not easy to pack up..........but it's worth it

I was not good to my body when I was younger, skateboarding motocross, and every time I get lazy and don't use my inversion table it starts hurting and cramping, which reminds me.... I suggest checking into one, ask your doctor if its OK first but seriously its a life saver for me I was going to look into a backrest but when I started inverting I didn't really need it.

That's funny, I have an inversion table, it was a must after a long play day and gig's when my pinched nerve was in crisis pain. After using the CARMICHAEL now for about 2 weeks I've only been on the inversion table twice and that was just out of habit. The CARMICHAEL throne works like an inversion table only better, it sets your muscles while your spine is floating (not being compressed).

Everything is easier when your spine isn't being compressed, the bass pedal is easier, more power, you can move your arms and not affect balance, its indescribable, or more accurately unbelievable.

I've seen a CARMICHAEL throne on a pic that Todd Sucherman shared on facebook (depicting his full drumkit) and I noticed that specific design of the throne top. If this thing is good enough for Todd it will be good enough for me for sure!

I honestly can't say enough good stuff about this throne. Big name pros are catching on, its just a matter of time. If you sit on one for a gig it'll change your life, that's a pretty big statement, tho that's the experience I got and as your body adapts to less spinal compression it only gets better.

That does look interesting........I just bought an additional throne, wish I'd have read this thread first.......would have liked to have tried one of the Carmichael thrones.

That does look interesting........I just bought an additional throne, wish I'd have read this thread first.......would have liked to have tried one of the Carmichael thrones.

There's no way I would sit on anything else now, just couldn't do it. My other thrones are useless, now to be sold.

This isn't subjective, its an unbiased no brainer, we're talking about your health here, not a colour, or sound. The throne is 'the' most important piece of equipment on the kit, it controls how your body feels.

The CARMICHAEL isn't a fancy redo of an old idea, its revolutionary and its just starting, its not even really out there yet. Just out of embryonic into infant stage.

How you sit, how you're supported is a big thing, the CARMICHAEL changes all that, its how you're supposed to sit to be pain free and in alignment. I can tell you honestly it works. I would have paid $200 for it in hindsight, probably more, its worth every penny.

Les, did you feel the need to change you seat height with this throne?

I have been sitting at different heights for the past few months, and nothing seems to stick. The seat basically feels fine (no back issues), but it's still just not "right".

Thinking this seat would help in that regard also--besides being better for the spine. I don't/haven't had any back issues, but I don't want to get any in the future either.

Just wondering if you've changed anything else because of the throne, or if it made anything else easier, besides what you said in the other post.

Did you buy the whole throne, or jut a top?

Thanks.

Les, did you feel the need to change you seat height with this throne?

I have been sitting at different heights for the past few months, and nothing seems to stick. The seat basically feels fine (no back issues), but it's still just not "right".

Thinking this seat would help in that regard also--besides being better for the spine. I don't/haven't had any back issues, but I don't want to get any in the future either.

Just wondering if you've changed anything else because of the throne, or if it made anything else easier, besides what you said in the other post.

Did you buy the whole throne, or jut a top?

Thanks.

Its normal to change seat heights to find comfort, its also normal to change tom, snare positioning etc. The reason being your body changes, disc's compress, muscles tighten. I used to redo my whole set up every 2 months or so on a new moon. You're changing positions b/c you're trying to get comfortable, you can't do that on traditional seating, once you bottom out it all goes south and then you start searching.

When I got the CARMICHAEL I did raise the thrones about 3 inches and it was comfortable, did a gig and this is the truth... I was afraid I was going to break my bass drum head.

The CHARMICHAEL leverages everything, you're relaxed and power is unimpeded b/c you no longer have to dedicate energy to balancing. Its an experience.

I have my throne lowered to the last height of my old torture devices, which is about 14.25" from floor to post top, with the CARMICHAEL on Im at 18" to the top of the stool... which is thighs 90 degrees w/feet flat on floor no shoes.

I did raise the snare and all related to force a straight back posture, shoulders open, no hunching. This positioning begs me to be closer to the pedal/bass drum.

After being on the CARMICHAEL Im leaving sessions/gig feeling energized, like nothing happened. Its that good, and like I said it gets better. As you play w/o your spine being compressed you retrain you muscles, which Im still in the midsts of doing, but definitely can feel the positive effects working. Get one and you won't want to sit on anything else.

Back