Beginning late in life

GStick

Hello to the drumming world. I am 51 years old and have never played any musical instruments in my life. I have always been fascinated with the drums and since our church drummer is no longer there, I have decided to learn, & become the new church drummer in the future. (started my first lesson yesterday) My church performs contemporary Christian music, usually 4 or 5 upbeat songs per service. I grew up listening to mainly 70's rock but now enjoy "smooth jazz" besides contemporary Christian. I am looking to purchase my first kit and would like some imput. I would like to purchase a "Made in USA" kit, so I have been looking at the Ludwig Keystone series or Classic Maple. I'm not sure if some Gretsch kits are made here in the states. (I realize that some very good, high quality drums are made in Asia, but I just like to buy "Made in USA" if I have a choice.) What size bass and toms would you all recommend for my application ? The sanctuary at my church seats over 100 people, and the drums are surrounded with the clear glass enclosement. (I don't know what it is called)

Thanks, G

Welcome to the forum!

1) Congrats! You made a great decision.
2) I started 3 yrs ago, at age 36. I wish I'd started earlier. It's never too late though ;-) Don't look back, always keep looking ahead.

Welcome to the forum. Never too late to start your drumming journey. I would look at ebay. I bought 4 kits already from ebay and believe I got great deals on all the kits. I would also consider a 4 piece kit to start. Kick, tom, floor tom and snare. Just my opinion. I still use this config. I rarely use my full 6 piece kit. I like the visibility, being able to see and communicate with the other members of the band is very important, especially where you are new at this. Best of luck.

Gretsch USA customs are USA made and quite expensive compared to the number of great kits available not made in the US. All of the major companies offer midrange kits that are Asian made with no issues.

Hello and welcome! There are quite a few of us here who bring a considerable amount of "life experience" to our drumming ;) but we aren't patronised by the younger/more expert contingent. This makes it easy to ask for, and to receive, help.

I hope you have many years of fun playing drums, and that your playing touches people you care about.

It's never too late to jump in, you might be surprised how many gigging musicians are eligible for AARP. I'm closer to 60 than 50, and I've been gigging more than ever!

Have fun, good luck!

Bermuda

Gretsch USA customs are USA made and quite expensive compared to the number of great kits available not made in the US. All of the major companies offer midrange kits that are Asian made with no issues.

As I mentioned, I do realize that there are excellent quality Asian made drums. Maybe I'm being too anal with the "Made in USA". I was actually looking at the Yamaha Stage Custom Birch, but the made in China turned me off.

Are there many kits that are "Made in Japan", that are priced reasonable ? (Please don't flame me for what I'm about to write. But in my opinion, Japanese made stuff is a much higher quality product than Chinese)

Thanks,
G

Hiya, I'm a young drummer just starting out but what I do know is that the brain is a muscle and it can be exercised and strengthened. It is never too late to strengthen a muscle and pick up an instrument or hobby. Hope all goes well

As I mentioned, I do realize that there are excellent quality Asian made drums. Maybe I'm being too anal with the "Made in USA". I was actually looking at the Yamaha Stage Custom Birch, but the made in China turned me off.

Are there many kits that are "Made in Japan", that are priced reasonable ? (Please don't flame me for what I'm about to write. But in my opinion, Japanese made stuff is a much higher quality product than Chinese)

Thanks,
G

My favorite drum maker, Tama is Japanese, for all I know, maybe they farm out some of the labor to china also, though... I think my mid-range kit has a made in japan on it.

Thanks,
G

Kits actually made on the soil a company operates in are generally going to be the custom kits or very high end kits. They definitely won't be mass produced.

Made in Japan kits are going to be equivalent to any kit made in the USA by experienced drum makers.

There's nothing wrong with the quality of stage custom drum kits and you'll be spending much less than you would on the ludwigs.

No shame in wanting to spend in your own economy though.

I would recommend fusion sizes with a 10, 12 and 14" toms but lots of guys out there prefer really big drums. Have a listen to both and see which ones you like more.

You'll enjoy the smaller drums when it comes to packing them into the car.

Welcome. Be sure you budget for sone high quality cymbals. I think they are more important to you sound than the drums. You can make an inexpensive kit sound good with good heads, but there's no way to get a good sound out of a bad cymbal.

Welcome to a great pastime, G.

I started playing drums a little over a year ago, age 51.

Regarding purchase of that first kit, if you are looking to buy new, I suggest a kit that is designed and marketed by a US company, but manufactured elsewhere.

I'm thinking of the Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz or Classic.

The Jazz has a 18" bass drum and the Classic has a 20" bass drum.

They are great shell sizes for jazz or lighter rock, and they come in nice classy sparkle finishes.

Take the money that you'll save on the shells and invest in top quality cymbals. My favorite is Zildjian's A series.

If you decide a year or two down the road that drums are your life and the Gretsches aren't enough for you, then you can flip them (decent resale) and get some US-built DW's or Ludwigs or Gretsches.

Me, a couple of months ago I picked up a set of '60's Slingerlands. I like to fix things up, though, and don't mind some patina.

Good luck, and happy shopping. Shopping for drums is almost as much fun as playing them!

Congratulations! Great Choice!! I'm 65 and offer that you should pursue your dreams, whatever they are. It is never too late to start. I just began drawing and painting 3 years ago and while some have said to me that "it's too late etc"...I just ignored them and went ahead enjoying being an adult beginner. There are a lot of naysayers in the world and we just have to ignore them and have fun! You'll find great support in this forum.

Thanks,
G

When you get you kit set up, you will likely have to get something made overseas, China specifically, at some point.

I'm not aware of any hardware or pedals made in the USA. Then, a metronome...mostly all made in China. Drumkeys...China/Taiwan.

You will probably also have to play only Zildjian cymbals. Sabian cymbals come from Canada, Paiste from Switzerland.

Oh, and Aquarian drumheads, my preferred brand, are made in Mexico.

Trying to buy all made in the USA is noble, but nearly impossible today.

However, if you buy all used, more money stays in the USA. And your pocket.

Get a 1980s Ludwig Rocker kit for $200-300 and be done with it. Made in USA. Good sounding drums, so-so lugs but who cares? That's the route I would go. Then in time the newer or upgrade kit will be more special.

However, if you buy all used, more money stays in the USA. And your pocket.

This is really the best advice in this thread.

For the price of an ordinary new kit, you could be hitting something dramatically nicer.

....the other good advice is to budget for quality cymbals, but that can be the start of your personal case of upgraditis.

Wow, I guess that I'm not too old for this ! Thanks for all of the welcomes and replies. I really appreciate the encouragment ! I suppose looking on ebay and craigslist for a used kit will be my best option. Thanks again.

When you get you kit set up, you will likely have to get something made overseas, China specifically, at some point.

I'm not aware of any hardware or pedals made in the USA. Then, a metronome...mostly all made in China. Drumkeys...China/Taiwan.

Axis pedals are made in the USA and are excellent.

"However, if you buy all used, more money stays in the USA. And your pocket. "

I agree with this too. This is the strategy I use for cars. New cars, US, used, doesn't matter so much.

Welcome to the site and enjoy. You are still very young!

Back