Kick Port thoughts?

I've thought about going this route.

I assume you use a Kelly Shu or similar product? How do you route the mic cable? Port hole? Unused tom holder?

There's the Kelly Shu or the May system.

The Kelly Shu lets you use any mic because it has a threaded post (like a stand). Few ways to route the cable:
1. through a tom mount
2. through air vent (means you have to take XLR cable apart and put back together)
3. under the head (yeah, head doesn't seat properly and this will warp a hoop)
4. through port hole in head (defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

The May is an integrated mount/microphone that comes in a few models (AKG D112, Shure Beta 52, and one or two of the Audix mics are specific for bass drums). The May system means you need to drill a hole into your shell that mounts an XLR plug. It's actually a very clean install and used to be a factory option from Drum Workshop (may still be an option from them, dunno).

Hi all, Just got one of these and tried it out on a gig for the first time. All the band liked it and the sound guy who we have used for years and is also a drummer loved it! He had to take EQ off the BD mike and ran it flat and it sounded great. We fiddled with the front head tuning a bit and it got even better. I have just ordered a new batter BD head, a Remo Powersonic, so I will be able to remove the pillow in the drum. I will let you know how that turns out.

Mike

Hi all again, I said I'd get back to you all regarding the Powersonic head and Kickport. WOW what a difference! I changed out my 22" clear pinstripe to a clear Powersonic head with the snap on dampener and flam patch as well as a HK-MUFF-22 muffler. My BD reso is a custom artwork clear ambassador. The removal of the pillow has opened up the drum so much and it sounds just great! No muffling on the resso, just the batter. My bass drum just rocked. During sound check we tested with and without the kickport and while it sounded much better than the original pinstripe/pillow, the kickport just added something extra. I am sold on this gadget, going to get another one for my practice kit as well. Kit was a 1977 TAMA royalstar BD 22"x 14"

Cheers

Mike

It seemed they were all after the same generic punchy/clicky kick sound without any thought to the music genre. I just hope I don't run into guys like that if I end up in a studio. I love the sound of a full reso.

You're probably more likely to get objections from live sound men than recording engineers, though I could be wrong.

I suspect Les IsMore is correct about internal mic'ing with full reso being the best option, though I've never tried it myself. It just makes sense.

I recently bought a KickPort and will be trying it out live (with mic') in a couple of weeks. If I have time I might try an A-B test. So far I've been having trouble hearing a difference with the naked ear.

I've thought about going this route.

I assume you use a Kelly Shu or similar product? How do you route the mic cable? Port hole? Unused tom holder?

I have custom fabbed mic holders that mount to a screw of the tom holder bracket. If you have a virgin kick then MAY internal or some other lug mounted devise.

7/8" drill bit, blast a hole in the bottom of the kick (just above the bottom lug, stage right, just aft of amidships).

A 7/8" hole is perfect for a chassis mount male XLR. Hard wire that on the inside the kick to a mic cable to your mic/mount, a dollop of silicone on the soldered connections its solid and worry free.

I have no problem drilling any bass drum for this set up, its out of sight and it remains continuously easy to use for eva'.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 4,009
I have custom fabbed mic holders that mount to a screw of the tom holder bracket. If you have a virgin kick then MAY internal or some other lug mounted devise.

7/8" drill bit, blast a hole in the bottom of the kick (just above the bottom lug, stage right, just aft of amidships).

A 7/8" hole is perfect for a chassis mount male XLR. Hard wire that on the inside the kick to a mic cable to your mic/mount, a dollop of silicone on the soldered connections its solid and worry free.

I have no problem drilling any bass drum for this set up, its out of sight and it remains continuously easy to use for eva'.

That sounds easy enough. I may try that.

Could you please post a pic so I can see exactly where to drill?

OK - I officially HATE the kickport. I have only got it to actually sound good
(as it should) on one type of head : the aquarian regulator and that one split/tore out
from the kickport due to my hack of a razorblade job cutting the port hole.
Tried it on a standard coated ambassador and didn't like it - produces a rattling warbly sound

I recently picked up a Fiberskyn 3 FA bass drum head and left it intact (no port) for a couple days and did some recordings.
Sounded pretty killer but I missed the attack you get from having a mic inside the kick. On an impulse I decided to port it and throw the kickport on it thinking that because the fiberskyn is a rather thick head it would sound better than the ambassador did with the kickport.

the good news: I used the burn method
I found a top to a sauce pan that was the exact size needed (5.5 inches)
heated it up on the stove and with the head laying on a cardboard box I burned the hole out. Perfectly round hole. Works like a charm

the bad news:
my kick drum sounds horrible now.
22" Emad 1 and fiberskyn 3 with no port: awesome round, fat, punchy...yum!
22" Emad 1 and fiberskyn 3 with kick port: thin, flat, dead, warbly...yuck!

I have found that unless you tune the resonant head up quite high
the kick port produces a rumbling, rattling sound from the head.

And with the higher tuning comes resonant overtones
the kickport causes the head to stay in motion longer so
now I need to stuff more muffling junk in my kick just to try to get close to the
sound I had with a intact resonant head.

I hate the kickport. Even a regular 4" port hole with a HOLZ type protecter
on sounds better to me....but intact resonant head sounds best IMO

seriously considering either the UKKO B-band internal kick mic
or the kelly shu and drilling and mounting an XLR female to male adapter
so I can have the mic inside with an intact resonant head.

but the kickport really sucks IMO
rant over....

Placement is intuitive, if you want it out of sight just below the 7th lug. You could put it above, it'd be easier to reach, but more visible.

KICKPORT install

You gonna argue with Mo? He hates everything.

I don't hear any flap, even on this little HIPGIG kick.

KICKPORT did not win best in show @ 2009 Summer NAMM b/c it doesn't do anything

.......................................................................................................................................................................................

Attachments

• drum mic.png
    drum mic.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 4,080
Last edited:

Placement is intuitive, if you want it out of sight just below the 7th lug. You could put it above, it'd be easier to reach, but more visible.

.......................................................................................................................................................................................

Really? The sound clips show a fatter bass drum sound with more chomp.

I dig their marketing slogan: "Make your bass drum sound OBESE." LMAO!

Kick Port, My Thoughts,
Forget About It!!!

40 bucks that you could have put towards a better thing.
You can buy a used mic for 40 bucks and Eq your bass drum to sound anyway that you want it to.
Just my observation after spending time with a Kick Port in a drum shop recently.

KICKPORT install

You better see this .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXnVITCxI2A

the kickport does add some low end to a ported head
but it's still not as beefy as an intact resonant head.

I don't hate the kickport itself really - I'm just kicking myself for porting
my new fiberskyn FA head.

I was getting such a thick, loud sound out of my kick with that un-ported
Fiberskyn that when I ported it and put the kickport in - it was a letdown.

but I fiddled with muffling and tuning my kick more today - recorded some
with the mic in various placements and came out with a really nice
kick sound. - even better than when it was unported.

I will just say nothing compares to an intact resonant head for non-mic'd
or in the driver seat enjoyment. A lot of punch and low end is lost when you
port a resonant head - the kickport attempts to add some of that back
and succeeds (partially)

Kick Port, My Thoughts,
Forget About It!!!

40 bucks that you could have put towards a better thing.
You can buy a used mic for 40 bucks and Eq your bass drum to sound anyway that you want it to.
Just my observation after spending time with a Kick Port in a drum shop recently.

What good is a mic if you don't have a PA?

Most drummers don't have their own PA system and if they show up to a gig with a sound man & PA, sound man is probably going to have a mic but he's not going to have a KICKPORT.

KICKPORT didn't let you down, it was the port itself.

Who's that company that ports the side of their bass drum shells?
I like that idea, it's like a big air vent that you can stick a mic in. I'd love to compare a ported and miced shell to a full shell with a ported reso. Then adding Kickports to both. Actually no that's a horrible idea. You can't put a Kickport in the side of round shell! Silly me!

What good is a mic if you don't have a PA?

Most drummers don't have their own PA system and if they show up to a gig with a sound man & PA, sound man is probably going to have a mic but he's not going to have a KICKPORT.

KICKPORT didn't let you down, it was the port itself.
Every band that I have ever played with has a PA.
If there is a sound engineer at a gig then there is a PA.
I mic my bass drum when I have to and all is well with the world.
I spent time at a drum shop sampling a Kick Port and I didn't hear anything that would make me spend 40 bucks on it.

Every band that I have ever played with has a PA.

A given, but not always a guaranteed 'slam dunk' with drums. Some people don't want to run a kick drum through their mons and/or even their small (10/12") mains... drums aren't always welcome in everyones PA.

If there's a house PA, there's going to be a mic to use on the kick 99% of the time, but no KICKPORT.

$40 for KICKPORT? I threw down for them, remember they're removable in 18 seconds so you can go back to your plain ol' 'hole in the head' sound if needed.

Sorry Les, I just didn't get the Kick Port.
I really tried to like it. I had 40 bucks in my pocket and I was ready to spend it.

the kickport does add some low end to a ported head
but it's still not as beefy as an intact resonant head.

I don't hate the kickport itself really - I'm just kicking myself for porting
my new fiberskyn FA head.

but I fiddled with muffling and tuning my kick more today - recorded some
with the mic in various placements and came out with a really nice
kick sound. - even better than when it was unported.

I will just say nothing compares to an intact resonant head for non-mic'd
or in the driver seat enjoyment. A lot of punch and low end is lost when you
port a resonant head - the kickport attempts to add some of that back
and succeeds (partially)

I found this very helpful, thank you. I have a Fiberskyn FA on my 18 by 18 kick. I have never ported my heads - cutting a hole in ANY drum head seems strange! Of course everyone wants to beef up their drum sound. I was wondering if the Kick Port somehow gathered/focused the sound outward, in which case I could see installing one. But it seems like the Kick Port just tries to mimic an intact head.

I wish someone from the company would come and explain it.

Why on EARTH would you cut a 7/8" hole into a drum shell, when you could just wire your internal bass drum mic to a quarter-inch TRS socket in the vent hole that's already in the drum? You'd just "plug in" your bass drum much in the same way a guitarist plugs in.

See the hardware mods thread for how I did this in my own bass drum. It is completely reversible and requires no drilling into the drum.

Why on EARTH would you cut a 7/8" hole into a drum shell, when you could just wire your internal bass drum mic to a quarter-inch TRS socket in the vent hole that's already in the drum?

Convenience.

I did the wire through the air vent, not as happening as a direct drill. You're limited to where the air vent is placed and its usually visible and/or in the way, cord on the drum shell etc.

TRS? You have to pack your own cord, which is OK if you mic your stuff up yourself, but its also just one more thing to forget. Anyones working XLR mic cable on the planet is usable with my set up and as you know, they're pretty common.

Back