What kind of heads should I buy?

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
Looking to buy heads for all five of my toms and I want to make the right choice.

I'm looking for something fat, deep, punchy, and semi-dead but still resonant. I'm mainly trying to decide between Aquarian Studio-X with Power Dot and the Performance II with power dot. I like the idea of Evans Onyx too but they are very expensive.

I know the Studio-X is 1-ply and the Performance II is an obvious 2-ply. I definitely want the power dot on these models as it gives them extra durability and it looks cool.

I have a Yamaha YD7000 that's made out of birch/mahogany. I play hard alternative rock with a jazz/fusion style.

Thanks

It sounds like you might want the Performance II.

"...something fat, deep, punchy, and semi-dead but still resonant." is pretty much the description of the Performance II.

However, they might sound a little too dead on a birch kit. Maybe... I tried a Focus-X (1ply premuffled head) on my church's snare a while back and it seemed to remove all the ring. Maybe nice for a studio application though.

You could sample one head from each of your choices. Try a 10" Studio-X and a 12" Performance II; see which one you like best.

studio x is great on snare, it CAN ring however.
toms: aquarian performance II. nice controllable ring and can tune low!
bottom heads are a must for your sound.

Performance 2's are dead and low. That is what they are designed to sound like. They don't resonate much at all even on an 18 floor tom. I use them. Think 70's and 80's rock sound. They are however 1 of the toughest and longest lasting heads I have ever used. Here is the complete description from Aquarians site.

Performance II™: A clear, two ply head manufactured with Aquarian’s Vacuum Process™ which eliminates air bubbles and wrinkles between the two plies. Remember that big, fat, low tom tom sound you heard on the classic rock and roll records? The sound that you could never get on your own? Now you can! Performance II™ drumheads were designed for “loose” tuning to get the depth and punch with no “over-ring”. This drumhead is sealed around the edge to create that really deep sound on the tom toms.

Performance II™ Texture Coated: A deep sounding two ply head featuring the durable Satin Finish™ texture coating.

Performance II™ with Power Dot™: A clear, two ply drumhead that features our patented Power Dot™ on top for added durability.

You could sample one head from each of your choices. Try a 10" Studio-X and a 12" Performance II; see which one you like best.

This is a good way to go especially if you are going to buy 5 heads. Sucks when you buy a complete set of heads and they end up not being what you wanted. Been there and done that.

Back