New To Home Recording

Tcat69

I want to make to get my feet with some basic home recording and am looking for some guidance. Please forgive me in advance if the questions find you shaking your head because of a "dah" moment.

I have been looking at a portable recorder such as a the Zoom H4n, and was wondering how I could sync the audio to video that would be shot with a "run of the mill" Nikon digital camera, if this is even possible or feasible? I generally play along to music via Vic Firth headphones plugged into either an MP3 player or an iPad. How would I make the music audible on the recording as well as to me through the iPad\MP3 player with a Zoom H4n?

I want to keep it simple and do not want to turn this into a money pit...

Thanks for any advice.

Microsoft movie will do exactly what you are saying. Load the video. Load the audio. Line them up so they start at the same time. Done! all it takes is a little patience and some practice.

Microsoft movie will do exactly what you are saying. Load the video. Load the audio. Line them up so they start at the same time. Done! all it takes is a little patience and some practice.

Thanks for the information. How does the audio that I am playing along to get captured if it is simply playing through my MP3 or iPad?

Your zoom will capture audio as well which should make it easy to line up. You can import the audio you're using with MS Movie Maker, it will ask you if you'd like to add music to your video...

Thanks for the information. How does the audio that I am playing along to get captured if it is simply playing through my MP3 or iPad?

You will have to combine the backing track with your recorded performance. You could use something like Audacity, or easier still, purchase Sony Vegas video editing software (or something similar) that will let you add a number of audio and video tracks.

Thanks for the information..I may take the leap and purchase the recorder. It is probably the best way to critique my timing etc..

I was an occasional poster on another well known forum but the board became very negative so I had to make the switch. Glad I did.

I'm looking at a similar set up since I too own a Nikon camera and tripod, if I buy the Zoom H4n with the camera mounting kit, it seems like a nice, portable all in one package for a simple recording set up.

Attachments

• zoo_H4N_camera.jpg
    zoo_H4N_camera.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 166
Back