How do you find a band?

I have had really bad luck with bands where i am at, all the people i form bands with end up not doing anything, but talk about being in a band all day long to other people.

Right now i'm stuck between a current band, we have me and my best friend both as drummers(yeah, not going so well o_O) a singer, and a guitarist that is to busy all the time.

So how do you find a band? Im out of ideas, there was only a few musicians in my area, and their all fakes or to lazy.

three words-- trial and error
finding the right band can be one of the most frustrating things for some people. Endless false starts, egos, people who talk the talk but don't walk the walk, bad rehearsal habits, not showing up on time, you name it.

I don't think there's an easy answer to your question. I've never been a session guy and never had that as a goal so I'm not an authority on that but I would guess the good thing about that is that you do the gig and move on to your next job.

If you're talking about a steady band, which is what I wanted, well, now you're dealing with people that you will be with on a regular basis. Like any relationship that is fraught with the potential for issues and all kinds of crap. Finding musicians who can actually play, are serious about doing the band thing and don't have massive egos is quite the undertaking.
Everybody seems great at first until you start to see the bad habits that will annoy the hell out of you and maybe others.

Sorry I'm not painting a rosy picture but unless you get very lucky finding the right band/musicians the process is going to test your resolve. However, when you do and things click, there's nothing like it. Good luck

Ya, Baddstuff is right.

Sometimes it seems as if the planets have to align perfectly before any progress can be made. Putting yourself out there no matter how frustrating it can be will only benefit you in the end. Your asking the right questions, just keep persevering.

one more thing, if you're a young guy and you really want to make a career of music then give it all you've got. Fight thu the frustrations and false starts and keep going. Keep your enthusiasm level high and go for broke. You may find as you get older and get saddled with more responsibilities that chasing your music dreams because increasingly difficult.
Give it your best and have no regrets.

one more thing, if you're a young guy and you really want to make a career of music then give it all you've got. Fight thu the frustrations and false starts and keep going. Keep your enthusiasm level high and go for broke. You may find as you get older and get saddled with more responsibilities that chasing your music dreams because increasingly difficult.
Give it your best and have no regrets.

yeah, i am young haha. Im 16, so i figured for now i'll just keep trying and in the mean time..try to learn how to read and write drum music, i never learned how. Just by ear. lol.

Ive always thought that "Looking for a band" seemed kinda strange.
It seems that bands that start out as good friends always click faster.
Atleast in my case.

Problem is, my best friend lives in Arizona(im in michigan) he is a good guitarist, my other friend who plays bass and guitar lives there too, and my friend chris is a gutiarist but hes moving from arizona to virginia. So its hard to find a band with friends lol.

You have to look. For real. Look on Craigslist.com, myspace classifieds, Backpage.com. Look at your local music store on their bulletin board. Ask other musicians, because they know other musicians who know others. Go hang out in open jam nights if they will let you in. Try everything. The important thing i can't stress enough, is don't fall into the trap of thinking your band that you join is the one you're going to be with a year from now, or two or five or ten years. Constantly be looking for a better situation until you find the one you feel comfortable with. I always go back to the story that Robert Plant was in six bands at one time! What do you think he did to the other five when Led Zeppelin got signed?

i have experianced ppl who talk the talk but cant walk it for sh*t. well u could do what i did cuz my friend is a drummer too so i just took up guitar unfortunatly but i love music to much and i also am planning on doing vocals so i just need a bass. just look bro lots of ppl have told me to do it but i no it is a lot easier said than done.

Back