Integrating more than one unit to MAC

plash

I have an Yamaha electronic drum set, Electribe, and wavedrum I'd like to link together in order to record on my mac with Ableton. I was just curious to some vets thoughts on the best route to do this. My mixer doesn't have any MIDI outs/ins.

I think the route I am going to go is buying an audio interface with a MIDI in/out. I want to be able to take advantage of some of the amazing sounds in Ableton and in order to do that I'll need MIDI. So here is how I will wire this rig. Korg Wavedrum and Korg Electribe into audio interface then routed to my Mac (do tweeks/loops etc. in Ableton) and back out into a mixer. My DTX will go directly into the mixer for now. Then if I ever want to mess around with MIDI, I will have that option in the future. Any thoughts???

Last edited:
you could get a midi to usb box to run midi.i would daisy chain all your stuff with midi then record the audio strait from your gear.

I have an Yamaha electronic drum set, Electribe, and wavedrum I'd like to link together in order to record on my mac with Ableton. I was just curious to some vets thoughts on the best route to do this. My mixer doesn't have any MIDI outs/ins.

I think the route I am going to go is buying an audio interface with a MIDI in/out. I want to be able to take advantage of some of the amazing sounds in Ableton and in order to do that I'll need MIDI. So here is how I will wire this rig. Korg Wavedrum and Korg Electribe into audio interface then routed to my Mac (do tweeks/loops etc. in Ableton) and back out into a mixer. My DTX will go directly into the mixer for now. Then if I ever want to mess around with MIDI, I will have that option in the future. Any thoughts???

I think what you are talking about doing is fine, sounds like a setup you can grow and expand. If its any help for the future, I have a small setup in the spare room which I have had good recording success with :

I use a laptop running cubase, so that is sort of along the same lines as you, then I use USB external sound adapters, my favorite is the E-MU 0404's, really accurate, and latency's below 6ms. I have the bitrate set to 24bit 48Khz, it will go much higher but theres a reason for it.

So, sound wise the next thing I have is my Tascam digital mixer, that has some SPDIF / AESEBU digital ins and outs on the back, I take a dual channel output from the computer into the mixer on an SPDIF digital link, I also take 4 channels of SPDIF out of the mixer back into the computer, hence running my bitrates at 24bit 48Khz, So, in effect my mixer does all the A to D and D to A, and its all digital from there. The mixer is also linked on MIDI but thats just to control the DAW really and provide a hop for other things in the future.

So, Headphones, speakers etc all plugged into the mixer, then I can just keep plugging things in to the mixer, to record its just a button push to route an individual channel or a sub mix bus down one of the SPDIF links to the computer, effectively lets me play the output and record 4 channels at the same time.

Drums though, I have a TriggerIO plugged into the laptop on USB and use a VST to make the noise.

Dont know if that helps but it might give you some ideas for the future. There no one right way to do it, if it sounds good, it works!

Back