Good Trade?

19drum94

I traded my friend my Joey Jordison snare and a PDP CX Maple snare for his limited edition 14X8 Mapex Black Panther snare. It has a really cool wrap and is made of maple and walnut. We are only doing the trade for a week and if we both like our drums then it will be permanent. Just wanted to know if this was a good trade.

If you feel that trading two drums for the sound of the snare you got is worth it: Yes.

If you are basing it strictly on how much the drum is worth: I would say no.

Well I actually do not know how much it is worth. But there are only 15 of these exact snares. He won it in a raffle at the Texas Big Beat which is somewhat of a drumming convention.

Well I actually do not know how much it is worth. But there are only 15 of these exact snares. He won it in a raffle at the Texas Big Beat which is somewhat of a drumming convention.

Rarity and history are also part of the cost equation. I would say it is a fair deal - if you are both happy with the sounds of the snares, because that is the most important thing.

A 14 by 8 snare is a monster! There are a lot of floor toms that size now.

I have been thinking about it and it turns out that I really don't like the wrap too much. It is really attention calling with all of the shapes and colors (I will post a pic later). So is it possible to take it to a drum shop and have them rewrap it with a different color and design?

Re-wrapping a drum is indeed possible, but if it is a limited edition drum as you say, I would be very hesitant to do it. You could do something altogether less permanent and still cover it for literally a few dollars. I have covered many kits and drums in this manner and it is super simple. If you're interested in how to do it, PM me. It will cover any trace of the existing finish, but make it removable so you could get it back to factory if you want to sell at any point.

Well the thing is, it is just the wrap that is a limited edition. At least that is what my friend said. It has a really attention calling wrap that I want to get it rewrapped. Its kind of cheezy too. The snare itself is made up of 4 plies maple 2 plies walnut. Same as the saturns.

Listen to AJ's advice - if it's the wrap that is the only thing that is limited about it then you'd be a fool to remove it and re-wrap it. Get it wrapped over in a non-permenant way and enjoy the drum with a look more to your taste - then when it's time to move it on then you can still get max $$$!

Also - if it's limited and you don't like it then maybe you should be looking at trading for a drum you DO like, rather than changing something on a drum that was produced in a limited run.

Well we didn't trade the drums. I got my PDP back. However I did trade him the Joey snare for his AA Metal-X crash and AAX Metal crash. I love the AA crash. It is a very versatile medium weight crash unlike the name implies. And it rides very well and has an awesome bell. I HATE the AAX Metal crash but I figured that I could sell it on craigslist or trade for a stage or studio crash. Maybe even an xplosion crash.

Back