What does “playing time” mean in jazz?

pt3407

Super simple question, what does it mean to play time in jazz? Does it mean to just play the ride and hats?

As always, the answer is, "it depends".

And this is where we find out how much jazz you've been listening to. Some jazz sounds great with just a ride cymbal playing straight quarter notes, other jazz requires comping, which can be super busy or sparse. Listen to the differences between how Buddy Rich and Mel Lewis groove behind their bands, very different, but one isn't the correct one. Or listen to the brush playing comparing Joe Morello and Ed Thigpen, both masters, but both very different.

Even then, none of those guys have been you in your situation with your jazz band. So through experience of emulating the greats, you eventually come to your own voice when playing time (eventually I'll get there too!)

When someone says "play time" in jazz, with no other context I would keep a spang-a-lang on the ride with appropriate comping on the snare and bass drum, and 2 and 4 on my hi-hat foot.

But as soon as you do a few miles down the road with a jazz band, you'll develop your own style of time as Bo alluded to depending on the individual strengths of the rest of the combo - maybe you have a rock solid bass player with whom you can always find the pulse. Maybe your keys/piano player's left hand is where you hang your hat.

Playing time in any style of music means playing a repeating groove in the style of the piece. The implication is that there isn't a lot of activity other than the groove.

What's the context that prompted the question?

Playing time in any style of music means playing a repeating groove in the style of the piece. The implication is that there isn't a lot of activity other than the groove.

What's the context that prompted the question?

Yes this is "Playing time". In the past it meant "Hey drummer, cut out all of that fancy stuff and fills and just give me the basic groove beat.
And Keep playing that until I tell you otherwise".

Then again I'm an old timer, but that's what it meant in the 1950's.

Back