Who Here Loves Rock

Skyking

Just sitting here listening to the radio and on comes Twisted Sister's, "Were not Gonna Take It". I crank the volume and within seconds my 13 year old son is doing James Brown like moves across the kitchen floor and the wife is shaking her tail like a paint shaker out of control. What is about some of these songs that just makes us move? And what are the songs that move you to move? With sympathy to the other genres, but who here loves rock?

How do you start to answer a question like that? Rock covers such an enormous range that it includes virtually everybody.
But to get the ball rolling;

Gold on the Ceiling..Black Keys (the whole family move to that)
A lot of the 50's rock and roll
Papa's got a Brand new Pig Bag..Pig Bag (my favourite dance song of all time. Not sure it's rock though ;))
A lot of ZZTop gets the feet tapping
The Who, Queen, Led Zep, they can all get me strutting round the kitchen waving my cooking utensils.
For most of these it's just a beat that is irresistible and forces you to move.

I don't so much love drumming as much as I love drumming to great rock. If I couldn't drum I'd take up the guitar because I love the music that much. It's not high brow, it's not hard to play. It's not jazz, IMO it's more fun and easier to listen to, it's just rock and it makes me want to play.

I don't so much love drumming as much as I love drumming to great rock. If I couldn't drum I'd take up the guitar because I love the music that much. It's not high brow, it's not hard to play. It's not jazz, IMO it's more fun and easier to listen to, it's just rock and it makes me want to play.

I can really get into some tool and rush. Tom sawyer is always one that gets my attention, but I'd still have to say limelight is my favorite rush song. Not really dance music...

Some foo Fighters tunes are pretty good, but in general, I tend to stray away from songs that can be described effectively as a tune. Sometimes I'm in the mood for that though.

Disturbed maybe? Like early disturbed, The Game, The sickness. First couple albums are good. Liberate is always good to get the blood pumping.

"Rock is dead".

.............................................................................................................

We played We're Not Going To Take It at our last gig and it went over like a house on fire. The floor was packed and the whole crowd was singing along.

Ah, so that's why pretty much every gig we do is a packed house & often up to half the audience are girls under 30 :)
No, they go to your gigs thinking it's a Pat Benetar tribute act. ;) jk

Redneck Woman always gets the ladies dancing and singing, and Honky Tonk Women, and songs like Piece of My Heart and Bobby McGee. I like to call them Crowd Pleaser songs. They put the boogie in the butt, like Eddie Murphy said.

Disturbed maybe? Like early disturbed, The Game, The sickness. First couple albums are good. Liberate is always good to get the blood pumping.

ALL Disturbed. All of it.

And you are correct about Tooll. Ænema and Parabola always get me grooving. Early Soundgarden and Alice in Chains are also great for that.

Ah, so that's why pretty much every gig we do is a packed house & often up to half the audience are girls under 30 :)

Sounds like an ideal audience! I wish our original gigs had a higher female attendance, ah well got a college party coming up playing covers, those are always fun.

I like lots of styles but I love how the rock bands I listen to just pump me up. They are always energetic, and having all instruments played by humans just brings about this raw feel that is always unique.

It's a long way to the top ... if you wanna rock n' roll !!

Attachments

• ginger-baker....jpg
    ginger-baker....jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 437
ME I DO I LOVE ROCK

29951iDE7E61F7DB6E7AD9

I love punk. I spent my teenage years listening to & going to punk gigs. I've previously been in 2 punk covers bands & now I'm in a band that plays punk originals. I still go to many punk gigs. Punk is great.

There's one song that is guaranteed to make me want to get up & dance, no matter how I'm feeling.

That song is Lionel Richie's "Dancing On The Ceiling".
Just brilliant!

Back