Craigslist ads crack me up....

New Tricks

Platinum Member
I see a lot of this:

".....prefer a mixture of john bonham/steve gadd type drummer."

They are not asking to much from an amateur Craigslist drummer :)

Getting ready to post an ad for a drummer tomorrow for our band, can I steal this one?

Oh those are the only requirements? No problem, dime a dozen. lol

I need to dig up my list of "If Craigslist ads told the truth"
It's around here somewhere.....

Ah, here it is
(apologies to those who've read this before).

If Drummer wanted ads told the truth:

Drummer needed.
Must be creative in coming up with different beats, because all our songs have the same guitar rhythms, and someone needs to make our songs sound different.

Must be willing to rehearse 7 nights a week, because at most we can commit is one or two, but we want to make sure you don't have any conflicts on those few days we can actually get it together.

Must be able to play to a click, because lord knows the bass player can't.

Must be a team player, and by team, we mean you'll do whatever we tell you to do, with no opinions of your own.

Must be a quick learner, because we often forget our own songs, and it would be helpful if you could be there to remind us how they go.

Must be sober and drug free, because we need a designated driver.

Must be financially secure, because we have no money, and when we finally make it big, we're not sharing the publishing with you anyways.

Or ads that look for drummers with "groove/feel" rather than drummers that can play with a lot of notes.

Obviously those two traits are mutually exclusive. :rolleyes:

Or, as I'm led to believe, they don't want their drummer to completely outperform them musical, and musicians who hide behind the exclusive "groove/feel" shtick are just mediocre.

I only respond to ads that are close to home anyway so I don't care what they write. My cost is minimal and that's how I like it.

Lol, I'm sure it just means style, not necessarily chops. For example on guitar I've been told there are definite George Lynch and Steve Vai influences, and I would say I my style is very much like a mesh of the two. I can imitate them both well if I want, if I were to emphesize either influence in my playing. Yet both could outplay me with most of their fingers missing.

Check this out from my craigslist today:

Looking for in-home drum teacher $20/hr (gateway)
looking for a drum teacher.
Weekday mornings in the vacinity of 102/knott.
Hoping to pay $20/hr.

Please send info on teaching experience and style.

Thanks

Not sure how rates are in your towns, but here in Portland, you'll be lucky if you can find a teacher who will teach half hour lessons for that rate, let alone an hour. And coming to their home? Yeah.....I teach one or two students on the side (have a day job but I enjoy it and it earns a bit extra cash) and they come to me for $30/hour, and I'm on the low end of things.

Here's one:

"Guitarist and bassist looking for a drummer. We have pro-level gear and you should too - good set of symbols and skins. Should also have a jam space, as we don't have one"

Check this out from my craigslist today:

Not sure how rates are in your towns, but here in Portland, you'll be lucky if you can find a teacher who will teach half hour lessons for that rate, let alone an hour. And coming to their home? Yeah.....I teach one or two students on the side (have a day job but I enjoy it and it earns a bit extra cash) and they come to me for $30/hour, and I'm on the low end of things.

Wow, those are expensive drum lessons. I get my lessons for $15 per 1 hour and 10 minutes or so. Although my teacher doesn't come to my home.

Well, if you're in Idaho, I can see how drum lessons would be cheap. Even Boise would be cheaper than Portland. Good solid lessons start at $40-50 for an hour here, and go up from there.

I don't see how a teacher who does it for a living can afford to teach at $15 an hour anywhere in the country though. Unless you're teaching at least 35-40 hours a week, which private instructors rarely do (the busiest ones tend to do it 20-25 hours a week), that's close to minimum wage.

I see a lot of this:

".....prefer a mixture of john bonham/steve gadd type drummer."

They are not asking to much from an amateur Craigslist drummer :)

I SEE A LOT OF THIS TOO. WE'RE LOOKING FOR A PRO DRUMMER, NOOOO DRAMA!1!!! 420 FRIENDLY, JUST WANT TO ROCK OUT. SCORPIONS, ZEPPLIN, JIMI, RATT, GIGS ALREADY LINED UP.

Or ads that look for drummers with "groove/feel" rather than drummers that can play with a lot of notes.

Obviously those two traits are mutually exclusive. :rolleyes:

Or, as I'm led to believe, they don't want their drummer to completely outperform them musical, and musicians who hide behind the exclusive "groove/feel" shtick are just mediocre.

I have been the bass player in bands where we auditioned drummers who were well-versed in flashy fills, press rolls, etc. but who would slow the tempo by 10 BPM by the end of the song, come out of their "amazing" fill on the wrong beat, etc.

We were in NO danger of being "outperformed." We were in danger of being dragged down.

There is such a thing as focusing one's musical development on the fancy (and fun) things while neglecting (tedious) fundamentals such as keeping time, counting, etc.

When I see an ad like that, I see a band who probably suffered with a drummer (or more than one) who worked on their flash, but never practiced with a metronome.

Also, there are many styles of music where busy playing is not appropriate. I had a humbling reminder of that recently whilst jamming with some acoustic bluegrass/blues people. Boom-chack boom-chack boom-chack.

Well, if you're in Idaho, I can see how drum lessons would be cheap. Even Boise would be cheaper than Portland. Good solid lessons start at $40-50 for an hour here, and go up from there.

For comparisons sake: My instructor does $50 an hour, and only does in-home lessons for me because I book 2-hours per lesson and pay cash. I also typically book Tuesdays from 10-Noon so that I don't compete for time with his in-store lessons. The down side is that I only book one lesson every 1-2 months.

Back