What type of Gretsch kit is this?!

hanman

Hey all,

I recently bought this kit online - and was under the impression I was buying a Catalina Rock kit w/ a 26" bass drum, 13" tom and 16" & 18" floors.

Instead when I got there the kit was slightly different (the guy selling it wasn't a drummer & didn't know a ton about the kit & I don't know a ton about Gretsch but I know a good deal when I see one...) and I bought it anyway.

Turns out to be a 24 " x 20" kick, 13" x 9" (or possibly 10") rack, and 16" x 16" floor! Also a matching 14" x 6.5" snare came with (not in photos.)

Is this still a Catalina rock kit, or is it another model? I've attached several pictures.. also, it is a flat black finish as opposed to the black sparkle finish I expected.

Please let me know!

Cheers

Aaron

Link for Photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahanley16/4942659249/

I'm not a Gretsch expert but judging by the size of the bass drum and the finish, I say it's a Catalina rock.

It's a Catalina. Note the stagger lugs on BD. Can't see the badge very well on the rack, but the stagger lugs give it away.

In all honesty, i wouldn't have accepted it. If it was advertised as a 26" kick with 16" and 18" floors, that what i'd want. Not a 24 kick with one 16" floor. That's not what he advertised it as.

But alas you've paid for it now, and it's still a nice looking kit.
My only question is, why, if it really is the Cat' Rock, does it have black 50% offset lugs/hardware when on the gretsch website it shows the kit with in-line chrome lugs and hardware.
Something to think about maybe.

How much did you pay?
xoxo

Im not familiar with that bass drum.
I didn't know that the Cat rock bass drums had offset lugs.
The black lugs and the brown wood finish bass drum hoops?
Perhaps grunt can give some more info.
This all is news to me.
It may have been customized.

I thought the Catalina series stated as much on the badges? The Maples, Birch and Clubs all have the series on the badge. I've not seen badges like this one on the Cat series before (check the small pics to the right for a close up of the badge). As for the lugs, my Cat maple lugs are all in line, not offset as per this kit. The offset lugs bother me. I've been unable to find a Catalina series with offset lugs on the Gretsch website: http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=drums&sid=577

Grunter....Kona? Can you guys shed some light?

i've seen those same badges on here before, i think it said they were from mid 90's catalina's.........

i think.........

can't seem to find that thread now so i'm not sure anymore...

Interesting...

Well I certianly didn't over pay. I got the kit as well as an additional 13" Pearl piccolo snare as pictured - plus all of the hardware shown & the cymbals (Meinl HCS) for $500 as well as several pairs of sticks, fresh heads, and a DrumDial tuner.

However, I was not aware that the hardware was out of place. Typical Gretsch hardware is chrome? And I too thought that if it were Catalina, the badge would say Gretsch & Catalina... my badges just say Gretsch on the top and bottom of the badge.

(PS I met the guy before getting the kit, it wasn't as if I was epxecting something else! I knew what I was buying when I saw it.)

However, I was not aware that the hardware was out of place. Typical Gretsch hardware is chrome? And I too thought that if it were Catalina, the badge would say Gretsch & Catalina... my badges just say Gretsch on the top and bottom of the badge.

Not all chrome, check the link posted by Dscrapre....black hardware and offset lugs on the (now discontinued) Mods. And guaging from Azrae1l's post....the series name on the badges looks to be a newer addition.

This is a Gretsch Catalina Club 4pc Stealth Rock kit that was offered as part of the 2007 Limited Reserve program in the USA. This kit has also been available in Europe from 2007-2010. The badges you have were misapplied by the factory. The correct badge for this kit is the standard Gretsch Catalina Club badge that has been used for the past several years. Kit sizes are 18x24, 9x13, 16x16, 6.5x14 and shells are mahogany with 30-degree bearing edges. The offset lugs were a standard feature. Retail price for the 4 drums and tom clamp was $999.00. Hope you're enjoying the kit.

Thanks,
John
Gretsch Drums Product Manager
KMC Music

Back