tiny wood chips.... EVERYWHERE

I wonder if this still happens to me...it's hard to tell because of all the old wood chippings around the kit. I have my cymbals really really low, though, and never hit them edge-on ever. Hmm.

Whew, so it wasn't just me. I always wondered...

I have only a slight problem with wood chippings, and I've found it is from hitting Rimshots on the snare, I don't hit the toms on the rims, and hit my cymbals correctly. But never the less, the HiHat and the Snare rimshots chew up the sticks.

A note on the Ahead sticks:
yes they have replacable shafts which are made of plastic, but the inner shaft is made out of metal. Since you have all posted in this thread you know that your sticks are being "chewed up" Well it won't stop if you get Ahead sticks, you will still play the same, you will still gradually chew up the shafts on the Ahead sticks.

Well you might say "big deal! so I'll go buy some replacement shafts". And to that I say, Ok well what happens when you wear a hole into the shaft of the Ahead stick and now the Inner Metal shaft is exposed? Will you notice it right away? VERY unlikely!

So for a while or even for a few more practice sessions you will be playing with these sticks that have the inner metal shaft exposed all the while, slamming your drum equipment: rims, cymbals, and HiHat with this (in effect) Metal stick. I don't think I have to tell you how damaging that will be. Especially to your crashes and your thinner cymbals such as your splashes.

I'm not saying don't get Ahead sticks, they have a good product and a novel idea. I'm just saying be careful with them, and pay attention to the shafts if you do in fact purchase Ahead sticks.

/climbs down from soapbox

My 2cents= we are hitting an object with another object, and eventually something will have to give. So instead of the $300 item giving in, why not let the $10 item give in. I would gladly accept 10 pairs of damaged sticks over 1 damaged cymbal.

Play smart, have fun

I suppose I should clarify my previous statement about the Aheads. No, they will not prevent the shafts from chipping, but the plastic has a way of keeping intact opposed to wood. Wood just kind of splinters and frays, leading to a difference in weight,rebound and strength. I love wood sticks(preferebly 747rocks) but they were just getting too damn expensive. I figured I d try Aheads again see what would happen. Well, 8 months later I m using the same pair,and have a fraction of those pesky little chips to clean up.
I see what you re saying about how damaging the metal to metal contact would be. I agree, but I just cant see someone not noticing the exposed shaft...Maybe for a few seconds, but a few sessions? One would have to be severely oblivious to let this happen. I ll cut myself off now as this thread isnt about Ahead sticks, just the shavings annoyance. But I have noticed barely any from the Aheads. OK you can have your soapbox back...lol : )

I have only a slight problem with wood chippings, and I've found it is from hitting Rimshots on the snare, I don't hit the toms on the rims, and hit my cymbals correctly. But never the less, the HiHat and the Snare rimshots chew up the sticks.

A note on the Ahead sticks:
yes they have replacable shafts which are made of plastic, but the inner shaft is made out of metal. Since you have all posted in this thread you know that your sticks are being "chewed up" Well it won't stop if you get Ahead sticks, you will still play the same, you will still gradually chew up the shafts on the Ahead sticks.

Well you might say "big deal! so I'll go buy some replacement shafts". And to that I say, Ok well what happens when you wear a hole into the shaft of the Ahead stick and now the Inner Metal shaft is exposed? Will you notice it right away? VERY unlikely!

So for a while or even for a few more practice sessions you will be playing with these sticks that have the inner metal shaft exposed all the while, slamming your drum equipment: rims, cymbals, and HiHat with this (in effect) Metal stick. I don't think I have to tell you how damaging that will be. Especially to your crashes and your thinner cymbals such as your splashes.

I'm not saying don't get Ahead sticks, they have a good product and a novel idea. I'm just saying be careful with them, and pay attention to the shafts if you do in fact purchase Ahead sticks.

/climbs down from soapbox

My 2cents= we are hitting an object with another object, and eventually something will have to give. So instead of the $300 item giving in, why not let the $10 item give in. I would gladly accept 10 pairs of damaged sticks over 1 damaged cymbal.

Play smart, have fun

It's worse than just that.

I played with the Ahead sticks for a while. I had the beaded tip come off while I was playing, exposing the screw threads while I was having one of my "Go NUTS" moments, pounding the hell out of everything on my kit.

Tore the hell out of every head on my kit and scratched up my cymbals too before I noticed.

This is back when I was first starting. Now I hit softer and for tone. I'm sure I'd notice the playing difference. At least I hope I would.

Back