The media story that wasn't. What has become of the news?

Hmmm, hadn't heard about that, maybe not as widespread as reported?

I didn't hear of it either. The 24 hour news cycle means there's more news, but with less research and fact verification.

The scary part is that people can be falsely impugned and retractions for false stores are usually buried and only a minority read them. So the mud sticks. I've read about people being abused on the street for things they didn't do.

I didn't hear of it either. The 24 hour news cycle means there's more news, but with less research and fact verification.

The scary part is that people can be falsely impugned and retractions for false stores are usually buried and only a minority read them. So the mud sticks. I've read about people being abused on the street for things they didn't do.

ladies and gentlemen...

Richard Jewell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Jewell

I watch the news quite often, and I saw mention of it on the scroll along the bottom of the screen, but in all honesty, I have a much larger issue with news reporting (if that's what you want to call it) as a whole.

CNN, MSNBC, Fox... All of them. I swear, it's almost like I'm watching The Daily Show or The Colbert Report, except it's not funny, and these people are actually supposed to be reporting the news. Not bashing candidates or inviting the most unsuspecting guests onto their show or just doing everything else you're not supposed as a reporter. As much as I like certain personalities on all of the aforementioned channels, they are all terrible people who dig and dig and get off topic and make their shows so animated for the sake of ratings.

And yes, of course, there's a huge element of reporting whatever's popular and whatever the people want to see. When Syria was a hot issue, there were reporters on the ground. Now the violence is worse then ever, and the only thing on the news is the RNC and DNC and tropical storms. I understand the necessity for heavy coverage on big things like that, but there is little to no coverage on anything else, especially things that are actually really big issues on the world and national arena.

I think Churchill said it best.."a lie travels around the world,while the truth is still getting it's boots on".

Steve B

... I have a much larger issue with news reporting (if that's what you want to call it) as a whole.

CNN, MSNBC, Fox... All of them. I swear, it's almost like I'm watching The Daily Show or The Colbert Report, except it's not funny, and these people are actually supposed to be reporting the news. Not bashing candidates or inviting the most unsuspecting guests onto their show or just doing everything else you're not supposed as a reporter.

We have different media in Australia - but it's the same. They seem to put more effort in telling you what to think than reporting news. Murdoch's media is the worst by far. They assume you're incapable of seeing the gaping holes in their endless stream of biased arguments.

All they have to do is convince the dumbest people. That's enough to create the desired election result.

My objection is with the "journalists" Journal coming from the french to mean daily. A reporting of the daily events. My opinion. But today they are story writers. Lets get a few facts, then make up a little, exaggerate the rest, so we can say we were the first to bring you la la la, and then have to go back and correct 90% of it. It is much more important to get the news out first. Being correct is down the list on priorities.

I think Don Henley said it best when he wrote the song Dirty Laundry

My objection is with the "journalists" Journal coming from the french to mean daily. A reporting of the daily events. My opinion. But today they are story writers. Lets get a few facts, then make up a little, exaggerate the rest, so we can say we were the first to bring you la la la, and then have to go back and correct 90% of it. It is much more important to get the news out first. Being correct is down the list on priorities.

Agreed. Today, reporting resembles ancient history authors elaborating upon a story to make it more exciting. Herodotus, Plutarch ect. This is NOT journalism as we have come to expect it.

In the UK we've had a huge press scandal and there has been a very long enquiry into media ethics as a result of voicemail interceptions and the like. I support a free and independent press but with that power comes great responsibility. One newspaper in the UK (The News of the World - a Murdoch) actually ceased publication in the wake of the scandal (only to be resurrected under a different name).

I believe that the press should have powers to report to use legally ambiguous methods of research when the story is in the general public interest. It was demonstrated in the UK that these techniques were being used as a matter of course to get stories on celebrities and even a murder victim's voicemail was allegedly intercepted - which is the lowest of the low. As a result, a close aide of Murdoch (Rebekah Brookes) has been charged with unlawful interception of communications and the former editor of the same paper has been charged with perjury - after resigning from his position as an advisor to the Prime Minister. So the rot goes all the way to the top. Hopefully this will be dealt with properly but I have my suspicions of corruption in the Police force in the UK due to another court case that I am not at liberty to divulge but involves a member of my family.

Unfortunately, the press is all about money and shareholders. It always has been and it always will be. For that reason, I think it's important to have strong libel laws to prevent the press from spreading rumours and to ensure that they research their stories properly. For any illicit methods, there should be justification.

Rumours have no place in news reporting and fabrication is obviously abhorrent.

Back