need help with sticks

futuresounds7

i recently swtiched from using extreme 5b VF's to just regular 5b VF's. Using the regular 5b's gave me a little more control and speed, however ive noticed the lack in power(i'm guessing its because of the length) But when i switched back to the extreme 5bs i noticed i lacked the control and speed. Now i know this may seem like a dumb thing to get concerned or frusterated with but i was just wondering what you guys think ? Ive been kinda leaning towards the regular 5bs because of the control and have been considering maybe louder cymbals (paticurly hi-hats) would fix the"power" or "projection" issue. and i hope to get new drums soon(keystones, or pdps) but im probly just making to big of an issue , idk wat do u guys think ?

Sounds to me like you just need to spend a little more time getting used to the new sticks. I just made the same switch. I was playing with Ahead Maxums (same as 5BX) and moved down to regular 5B's and sometimes the Hybrid 5AB. Took me a little time to get used to it, but I like the lighter weight of the 5B's and that's was drove me to make the switch. After playing a few gigs with the new sticks I am fine and the old heavy sticks feel far too heavy for me to play with at all...

yea i figured that the 5bs would give me more control which is important for better technique. as for buying new hi-hats i was deciding between zildjian a series rock hats or mastersound hats , would you happen to know some the pros an cons of the two ?

My best advice is learn to play with a variety of sticks. I can do the same things with a 7A as I can with a 3A. I don't forget how to play something just becuase I've grabbed a different pair of sticks.

Sure, we all have our preferences. But at the end of the day, the stick doesn't play itself. The drummer controls the stick.....not the other way round. :)

Back