Aquarian for the snare

LedFoot65

Head Questions with no end...
Has anybody tried any of these Aquarian snare heads? Coated Respose2 , Coated Focus X or Coated w/ Power Dot on bottom . If so what do you guy's think of them.Thanks

Has anybody tried any of these Aquarian snare heads? Coated Respose2 , Coated Focus X or Coated w/ Power Dot on bottom . If so what do you guy's think of them.Thanks

Oddly enough, I've played all three heads.

First of all, they all last longer than any other head I've ever tried. The Focus-X was the first head I ever used from Aquarian. I wasn't a fan of sticking moongel or tape all over my snare so I thought I would try it. It worked beautifully. I still use it on my Mapex maple snare. It takes just a little of the ring out, not too much though. It still has a great tone, just a little more, for lack of a better term, focused.

A while back I tried the Focus-X on my church's snare. It's a Sonor birch kit. I actually didn't like it as much then. I can see where a lot of folks say birch is a punchier wood with less sustain. It just sounded too muffled to me. I can only imagine what it sounded like out in front of the kit. This is where I tried the Power Dot head. I had it saved for my own kit but I thought I would see what it sounded like on the birch snare. It ended up sounding really nice. I think it darkened the sound a little but that may just be me. It's definitely holding up nicely. Plus, since there is the occasional young kid on the drums it's probably a good idea to stay with that one for longevity's sake.

The Response2 has long been my choice for toms, so after I acquired an LM400 Supra last year I thought I'd try it on the new snare. I didn't want to use the Focus-X there since I've heard it's practically illegal to muffle a Supra in any way (apparently, in some areas, it is). The Response2 gave me exactly the kind of meaty crack I was looking for; I haven't tried any other head since.

So feel free to try any head from your choices. They are all great in their own way. It just depends on what sound you are looking for and what drum you put it on.

Hey Brady thanks for the feedback.What do you think about a texture coated single ply no dot for a Tama SCP birch snare? I had an ambassador on it but it was kind of ringy.I understand Aquarian are a little warmer sounding then Remo.

Hey Brady thanks for the feedback.What do you think about a texture coated single ply no dot for a Tama SCP birch snare? I had an ambassador on it but it was kind of ringy.I understand Aquarian are a little warmer sounding then Remo.

A single ply un-muffled head would probably sound great on that snare.

From what I've heard, Aquarian does seem to be a little warmer than Remo. Plus that Aquarian coating will last many more times longer.

If you still think it's ringy, keep in mind that a lot of that ring is soaked up when you're playing with other instruments, plus it sounds completely different several feet in front of your kit. Maybe have a friend jam on your kit while you listen from across the room. It's amazing what a difference there is.

Back